Got an old Smart Phone in the back of a deawer? Easy Instruction For Free Motion Detection Security Camera

• 1000 Club

Almost everyone has an old smart phone in the back of a drawer somewhere.
    Here’s a vid showing how to easily retask that old phone. Wifi suggested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp7CcpklJ9M

• Global Moderator

Brilliant! Thanks for posting this. You might want to add something like “how to” or “instructions” to your title… I almost didn’t click on this thread because I don’t have any knowledge, expertise, or help to offer anyone on this topic.

I love how clear the resolution is, that you can control it from a PC or another mobile phone, you can remotely enable flash and speak through the security camera, it records when motion is detected, you can use multiple cameras simultaneously, etc. I’m surprised it’s a free app given all of the features. Android phones only require OS 2.3 or later, so it’d be easy to pick a bunch of really cheap ones off eBay if you don’t have any/enough old phones lying around. I need to figure out a way to conceal one and hook it up to a concealed power supply to monitor my front door.

• 1000 Club

@fivetalents

Done. Thanks for the advice. I’m really stoked about this. 2 phones and 2 laptops and trying to figure if I can run a multi-screen thru my TV Box like it is on the laptops. That would give a near life size image on the TV. I already have a wireless doorbell cam that runs on easily changed rechargeable batteries. I know you can get solar power banks to keep the phone charged but a dedicated doorbell cam is probably cheaper. Be sure and post any ideas.

• Global Moderator

I’d prefer a hard wired doorbell solution, but you’re probably right that even one that runs on batteries is probably better than an old mobile for external doors. I think solar panels would just draw attention to it, leading to intruders knowing to avoid the area, or theft/vandalism. Drilling through an external wall to connect a power cord would conceal it best, but that’s not something I want to commit to. Oh, well, still plenty of indoor options/uses.

Couldn’t you just hook a TV up to a dedicated laptop via HDMI? You’d have an inexpensive, high resolution, fast, and stable signal. You could even get a 4K 45" TV for $200-$300 if you wanted your camera feeds visible at all times. It would be awesome if there were smart touchscreen HDTVs (mega tablet?) that could run the app… I guess a large screen touchscreen laptop would do… or hook your laptop up to a huge monitor. I think I’d rather the stability, features, and control of a laptop over Roku/AppleTV/FireTV/Chromecast type devices.

• 1000 Club

@fivetalents
    Sorry for the late reply. HDMI is a great idea. I have a very long cable that I
    could run to my 55" in the Lroom and a 45" and laptop in my bedroom.
    Thanks for the idea.

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.