Deathwatch 2017

• USER Kandykornhead MommyOfHAndK MilleniumBuc soundtechie ganda KayK discretion Scrouds
    QE2 Kirk Douglas Billy Graham Ollivia de Haviland GHW Bush Jimmy Carter Michele Bachmann Keith Richards
    Prince Philip Billy Graham Pope Benedict XVI Roberta McCain Kirk Douglas Larry King Steve Bannon Pope Benedict XVI
    Herman Wouk Hugh Hefner Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi Gord Downie - musician Prince Philip of UK Barbara Walters Alan Dershowitz Queen Elizabeth ii
    Wilko Johnson Bob Barker Doris Day Vivian Campbell - musician Larry King Kirk Douglas Franklin Graham Bob Barker
    Kirk Douglas Prince Philip Boutros Boutros-Ghali Emma Morano - oldest woman Hugh Hefner Hugh Hefner Mike Huckabee Jimmie Carter
    Billy Grahm Queen Elizabeth Charles Manson Yisrael Kristal - oldest man Henry Kissinger GHW Bush Alex Jones George Bush the elder
    Brad Keselowski Jimmy Carter Don Rickles Adele Dunlap - oldest american Buzz Aldrin Queen Elizabeth II Gordon Klingenschmitt And his wife, Barbara
    Henry Kissinger Bob Dole Dick Van Dyke Violet Brown - also very old Terry Jones Billy Graham Pat Robertson Bret Michaels of Poison
    Stan Lee Jerry Lewis Robert Wagner Marie Josephine Gaudette - also very old Mel Brooks Barbara Bush (GHW’s wife) Rick Santorum Raul Castro
    Stephen Hawking Joe Jackson Lindsay Lohan Irwin Corey - comedian Kanye West William Shatner Curt Schilling Toni Braxton
    POINTS 0 2 1 6 1 1 0 0

Might as well copy it over before it goes *poof*

• I thought we decided that soundtechie was being, in the politest terms, a cheating scumbag with no sense of decorum.

• @ganda said in Deathwatch 2017:

I thought we decided that soundtechie was being, in the politest terms, a cheating scumbag with no sense of decorum.

That’s why from 2018… point system will be in place. 100 minus age of dead person = number of points you get. Wont be just about how many from your list died.

I thought we decided that soundtechie was being, in the politest terms, a cheating scumbag with no sense of decorum.

In that case - so far - WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER🍗

• @mommyofhandk said in Deathwatch 2017:

@ganda said in Deathwatch 2017:

In that case - so far - WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER🍗

Yup… you’d be the winner… me and ganda in second place… everyone else except soundtechie in third place… soundtechie in last place.

• @kayk said in Deathwatch 2017:

That’s why from 2018… point system will be in place. 100 minus age of dead person = number of points you get. Wont be just about how many from your list died.

So under the 2018 rules MommyOfHand K would have points added when Kirk Douglas (100+ already) dies?

The 2018 rules need to be rethought. Rather than picking well known old people who are likely to die, players would pick 10 young people and hope for a single hit. One Katy Perry would be worth 30 Bob Barkers.

Rethink the rules.

@kayk said in Deathwatch 2017:

So under the 2018 rules MommyOfHand K would have points added when Kirk Douglas (100+ already) dies?

The 2018 rules need to be rethought. Rather than picking well known old people who are likely to die, players would pick 10 young people and hope for a single hit. One Katy Perry would be worth 30 Bob Barkers.

Rethink the rules.

Correct.
    Old people die. It’s a fact. Not really points worthy.
    Maybe give 1 point for everyone 100 and above… so there is some incentive to pick 100+ folks

One Katy Perry would be worth 30 Bob Barkers
    😆 👏🏼

• You don’t need to tweak the rules, everyone just needs to abide with the unwritten rule of famous people only. Seamus O’Malley, the oldest tap dancing juggler in Dublin is not famous.

However, off the top of my head, if the rules are to be tweaked - each contestant having 10 entries, we could require one teen, one twentysomething, one in their thirties, and so on, and finally one 100+

AHEM…

I made a list according to the rules, if there are different rules next year, Ill make a different list. I’m pretty sure that every single person I picked took a turn at being “oldest” before kicking off.

• @soundtechie said in Deathwatch 2017:

AHEM…

I made a list according to the rules, if there are different rules next year, Ill make a different list. I’m pretty sure that every single person I picked took a turn at being “oldest” before kicking off.

Your entry was, at best, not in the spirit of the rules. And you know that. The rules are noteworthy people only, e.g. not your Uncle Bob, and you packed your entry with basically Uncle Bobs.

Did you know who those people were before you made your entry? I’ll wager you did not, you just googled some old people with something slightly noteworthy about them.

@soundtechie said in Deathwatch 2017:

AHEM…

Your entry was, at best, not in the spirit of the rules. And you know that. The rules are noteworthy people only, e.g. not your Uncle Bob, and you packed your entry with basically Uncle Bobs.

Did you know who those people were before you made your entry? I’ll wager you did not, you just googled some old people with something slightly noteworthy about them.

You’re right, I didn’t know their names, I found them by LOOKING THEM UP on frickin WIKIPEDIA.

AHEM…

You’re right, I didn’t know their names, I found them by LOOKING THEM UP on frickin WIKIPEDIA.

Which is the equivalent of using a dictionary while playing Scrabble.

I’m not sure how to write a rule for “noteworthy person”, but apparently we now need one. How about - their death has to be on the front page of CNN? Hugh Hefner was, I’ll bet none of your wikipedia-sourced old people were.

Games are no fun when someone cheats. Might as well not play!

• I don’t get it, he followed the confines of the current rules, in secular law sense, that would be following the laws as laid out. now accepted ethics might be considered, but were morals or ethics mentioned in rules?

• Rule 1: Name 10 well known people

I rest my case.

• well then if that is in the rules, …

• I submitted a list, but oddly I wasn’t added to the table, maybe next year.
    Willie Nelson
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Diana Ross
    Jimmy Carter
    Betty White
    Michael Caine
    William Shatner
    Olivia de Haviland
    Val Kilmer
    Nancy Pelosi

Alternate
    Angelina Jolie

Rule 1: Name 10 well known people

I rest my case.

Rule 2 for 2018: the winner will be the person with the most points except for those with more points than Ganda, because he is a special snowflake.

• how about i just list a bunch of people, as they check into the local hospice. my chances would greatly increase!

I rest my case.

Rule 2 for 2018: the winner will be the person with the most points except for those with more points than Ganda, because he is a special snowflake.

Nope, just play by the rules. It seems likely that MommyOfHAndK is going to win 2017, and well done. You’re black flagged and disqualified because you didn’t abide by the rules.

soundtechie - DNF

If we need to quantify what “well known” means, we should do so. I suggested that the death has to be on CNN’s front page (Tom Petty is, see), but I am open to better suggestions.

• i would say “in the public eye” in past ten years, not EVERYBODY is on CNN, or at least they have to be in a newspaper or news channel anywhere.

• @frugalfreak said in Deathwatch 2017:

i would say “in the public eye” in past ten years, not EVERYBODY is on CNN, or at least they have to be in a newspaper or news channel anywhere.

That doesn’t work, they could be a well known recluse (Richard Simmons?).

In a newspaper or on a news channel “anywhere”? Someone may be well known in PossumScrotum, TN and complete unknown on the rest of the planet. It needs to be CNN or similar IMO.

I rest my case.

Nope, just play by the rules. It seems likely that MommyOfHAndK is going to win 2017, and well done. You’re black flagged and disqualified because you didn’t abide by the rules.

soundtechie - DNF

If we need to quantify what “well known” means, we should do so. I suggested that the death has to be on CNN’s front page (Tom Petty is, see), but I am open to better suggestions.

I’m just checking, under whose say am I “black flagged”? It’s still my thread, even this copy is owned by someone whose name isn’t Ganda.

I rest my case.

soundtechie - DNF

I’m just checking, under whose say am I “black flagged”? It’s still my thread, even this copy is owned by someone whose name isn’t Ganda.

The Stewards of Decency and Fair Play black flagged you. Box now.

I rest my case.

soundtechie - DNF

Well good for you. Fight the power, brother.

As soon as you’ve got the owner of the thread, or the owner of the other thread, or even a small coalition of like minded adults, I’ll start sweating.

I rest my case.

soundtechie - DNF

Well good for you. Fight the power, brother.

As soon as you’ve got the owner of the thread, or the owner of the other thread, or even a small coalition of like minded adults, I’ll start sweating.

Sweating? It’s a silly game. If you’re going to have tantrum you can just win, here have a trophy, you’re the best, would you like 2 scoops of icecream too?

• @miserly said in Deathwatch 2017:

how about i just list a bunch of people, as they check into the local hospice. my chances would greatly increase!

Colloquially known as soundtechieing

• Global Moderator

Are y’all really fighting over corpses? How about the rule be that the nominee must have a Wikipedia page that was created at least 10 years before their date of death?

• @fivetalents said in Deathwatch 2017:

Are y’all really fighting over corpses? How about the be that the nominee must have a Wikipedia that was created at least 10 years before their date of death?

Nope, over manners and decency, which is a little ironic when predicting who’s going die 🙂

• What about if they show up on global websites, like the oldest Indian dying and an article on New Deli TV?

• When will Deathwatch 2018 open?

• @middleagedbuc said in Deathwatch 2017:

What about if they show up on global websites, like the oldest Indian dying and an article on New Deli TV?

Or Congo? Or Burma? I bet I could find some notable old Burmese dudes nobody else has heard of.

Since we’re largely US based I suggest we stick to national domestic media.

• But is so much more fun bending and pushing the limits of the rules.

• Does infowars count?

• @middleagedbuc said in Deathwatch 2017:

Does infowars count?

Only if Common Sense is one of your entries.

• @soundtechie is the winner this year… since he played by the rules that were set up when the game took place.

Rules next year will be different obviously. I do not like the rule of a 10 year old wikipedia page… because #1… what if someone is < 10 years old? #2 How can you know when the wiki page was created?

I still like point system based on age. If someone is less than a 100 years old, player gets “100 minus age at death” points. If someone is more than 100, player gets 1 point.

That way… if you pick a Kelly Clarkson (or someone young and healthy like her) and for some odd reason she dies, you get a huge amount of points based on sheer luck.

• Global Moderator

I do not like the rule of a 10 year old wikipedia page… because #1… what if someone is < 10 years old? #2 How can you know when the wiki page was created?

I still like point system

My Wikipedia suggestion was specifically aimed at addressing the controversy over nominating really old people almost no one has ever heard of. It in no way impacts whatever point system you use. Children could be exempt because they’re never going to be nomited for being the oldest living person. Also, on every Wikipedia page their is a “view history” that records/logs every edit to that page. Sort by oldest to see when the page was created.

Just a thought.

I do not like the rule of a 10 year old wikipedia page… because #1… what if someone is < 10 years old? #2 How can you know when the wiki page was created?

My Wikipedia suggestion was specifically aimed at addressing the controversy over nominating really old people almost no one has ever heard of. It in no way impacts whatever point system you use. Children could be exempt because they’re never going to be nomited for being the oldest living person. Also, on every Wikipedia page their is a “view history” that records/logs every edit to that page. Sort by oldest to see when the page was created.

Just a thought.

Who will go through that wiki history?
    Does that time frame depend on 1/1/2018 or when the person dies?
    If a 30 year old dies but had a wiki page created 5 years ago, does the user gets any points?

There are so many examples of someone very famous has not had a wiki page for 10 years (ex: most NFL athletes… or sports personnel in general. College football players, state governors, senators, representatives… CEO’s of new companies like an Elon Musk, etc)

• OK… so Elon Musk’s wiki page was created in 2006… but you get the jist of what I’m trying to say.

• Global Moderator

@fivetalents said in Deathwatch 2017:

Just a thought.

If a 30 year old dies but had a wiki page created 5 years ago, does the user gets any points?

There are so many examples of someone very famous has not had a wiki page for 10 years (ex: most NFL athletes… or sports personnel in general. College football players, state governors, senators, representatives… CEO’s of new companies like an Elon Musk, etc)

10 years was just a suggestion, it could be whatever is most reasonable. When you view the history, you sort by oldest… 2 simple clicks. Who ever nominated the person would verify that they have a qualifying wiki. Whomever challenges a nominee is able to check as well. It’s not an all inclusive method, but none are and this is an easily accessible and more objective one.

Just a thought.

10 years was just a suggestion, it could be whatever is most reasonable. When you view the history, you sort by oldest… 2 simple clicks. Who ever nominated the person would verify that they have a qualifying wiki. Whomever challenges a nominee is able to check as well. It’s not an all inclusive method, but none are and this is an easily accessible and more objective one.

in that case… I would pick 2 years for the wiki page.
    If some loser is dedicated enough to create a wiki page for their pick a year before s/he selects the person… 2 years before they die, they deserve to get the points… just based on their sheer dedication for the game.

• Global Moderator

Just a thought.

in that case… I would pick 2 years for the wiki page.
    If some loser is dedicated enough to create a wiki page for their pick a year before s/he selects the person… 2 years before they die, they deserve to get the points… just based on their sheer dedication for the game.

LOL!!! I wouldn’t put that past some folks for sure.

• We got 2 more months to make up the rules for next year… so all is good right now.

@soundtechie … legally… wins 2016 edition by a landslide.

• are there other deathwatch’s where the rules are established already and you can just use them?

We got 2 more months to make up the rules for next year… so all is good right now.

@soundtechie … legally… wins 2016 edition by a landslide.

AHEM

To play the game, post a list of ten well known currently living people that you think will die in 2017. add an eleventh “alternate” that will become part of your list if someone on your list dies before the beginning of the year. Only an unedited post dated before January 1st 2017 will be considered (so don’t edit your post!)

None of us, including soundtechie who has admitted he wiki-ed them, had heard of any of the “winning” entry’s dead people. They were not well known. If this is the standard of play, the 2018 rules had better be pretty damn watertight.

• I’m with ganda 👍

@soundtechie is the winner this year… since he played by the rules that were set up when the game took place.

How can you declare a winner for 2017 this early? Still almost 3 months left.

• @discretion said in Deathwatch 2017:

@soundtechie is the winner this year… since he played by the rules that were set up when the game took place.

How can you declare a winner for 2017 this early? Still almost 3 months left.

I am rooting for you to get at least 7 off your list.

• As I said back at FW, “I can’t ‘nominate’ folks with redeeming qualities, only those without.”

It bothers me to think about ‘winning’ anything off the deaths of folks like Jimmie Carter, George HW Bush, Barb Bush, even GW Bush, Bob Dole, Billy Graham, any Popes, Stephen Hawking, QE2, a lifetime of laughs from Mel Brooks, and even Bill Shatner…

Save Billy Graham, take that worthless hateful son of his Franklin.

45 has certainly made my appreciation of GWB improve tremendously, not to the point of his hero dad GHWB, but it has shot up.

• @discretion you must not be english, they bet on everything

DMCA Policy

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.