Simple Extraction Gone Awry (Dental)

• It was supposed to be simple, SIMPLE! And I should have been out of there by 3:00 pm. Ended up being 4:00pm. Apparently this tooth just did not want to come out. So the dentist tried removing a small amount of bone around the tooth, giving her more leverage room. Nope! Wouldn’t budge. She was pulling, the technician was holding my head still. 🙁

It ended up turning into a surgical extraction involving cutting the tooth in pieces, and pulling them out one by one. And they wouldn’t even come out easy. More Novocain, more cutting, more pulling. After getting everything she could see out, she had the tech take an x-ray to be sure. Darn if there still wasn’t a small piece lodged in the bone. 😞

More cutting, more pulling, the dentist was apologizing. Finally, she got the last piece. 😥

I ended up with lots of dissolvable stitches, plus a dissolvable packing medium in the gaping hole. It’s already starting to throb, took some Naprosyn, have Chloraseptic spray for mild to moderate pain, Orajel for bad.

The poor dentist had a surgical extraction scheduled after mine, that person was out there waiting, waiting, waiting…

I have to go back for more prep work, then to a different clinic to be evaluated for either bridges and/or partials.

I had soup planned, glad I did. I found two bagged broccoli florets and a bag of big parsnips in the reduced produce section at the IGA. Cooked them up, poured some with milk and cheddar cheese in a blender to make creamy broccoli cheese soup. It was yummy! 😋 Had a very ripe banana for dessert.

Ugh! 😖

• Urgh. That does not sound like fun. You have my sympathy.

My dentist is bugging me to get my wisdom teeth removed. All 4 of them. He keeps asking “why hasn’t it been done?” which I hear as “why haven’t you agreed to be knocked unconscious and have 4 teeth ripped out of your head?” I’ve never been knocked out, I’d like to keep it that way.

eta: that doesn’t mean I want my wisdom teeth removed while conscious!

• @sweetclover sorry you had such a rough time.
    @ganda Wisdom tooth removal was no big deal IIRC. If there’s room for them to come in, no reason to have them removed. They can come in at funny angles-- like parallel to your jaw which will affect the other teeth. Usually they want to remove them cuz there’s no room for them. Have you looked at the xrays? I presume the sooner they’re removed the easier it is to get them out.

I developed a cavity under a crown. Dentist had a really hard time removing the crown, sort of sounds like SweetClover’s experience-- hammering & chipping away. Finally removed the crown to see that the decay was so deep that not worth repairing so next step is removing the tooth and implant. 😞

• @ganda Are they bothering you? Do they present a problem if left in? I guess you should find out why the dentist wants them removed.

Lucky me, no wisdom teeth! There are tooth buds in the upper jaw, nothing in the lower. I have a very small jaw, probably due to a congenital condition that caused me to stop growing at age 13. I reached 5 ft tall, and stopped. This may have caused my small jaw, that is the size of a child’s. Creates problems for dentists.

Also creates problems for anesthesiologists, and emergency responders if I ever need intubation. It’s in my medical records that a child-size intubation device has to be used, adult one won’t fit.

Chloraseptic seems to be helping, but I’ve got the Orajel if needed.

• Apparently my wisdom teeth are pushing on the adjacent teeth and this is a bad thing. I get an achy jaw once or twice a year, no big deal. I’ll get it done eventually, I’m just a big chicken with stuff like that. Plus I’ll need to schedule a few days of watching TV and eating ice cream, which is a problem when you’re self-employed.

eta: do you not even get some opioid fun?! 😞

• @ganda said in Simple Extraction Gone Awry (Dental):

eta: do you not even get some opioid fun?! 😞

Maybe Percocet or Tylenol #3. My niece got one of those after having her Wisdom Teeth extracted. She also borrowed my gel ice pack to deal with the pain & swelling.

Dentist told me to take ibuprofen or naproxen as needed.

• @sweetclover
    Reading that makes me wonder if dentists really enjoy their jobs. How can that be ejoyable?
    Any dentists out there? Maybe I am just anti-dentai…

• Global Moderator

@SweetClover
    Sorry it was such a bad time. On the bright side though, it’s out and you’re on the mend! 😸

• @mommyofhandk said in Simple Extraction Gone Awry (Dental):

@sweetclover
    Reading that makes me wonder if dentists really enjoy their jobs. How can that be ejoyable?
    Any dentists out there? Maybe I am just anti-dentai…

Who dreads going in to work more, a dentist or proctologist?

• Earlier this summer I had a lower tooth extracted because of a condition called “external resorption.” I had to wait until the bone below regenerated enough until I could have an implant. I just had that last month. I now have to wait until January for the bone to heal around that before a post can be put onto the implant, then a crown placed on top of that. A long term process, with my periodontist hauling in his dental fees. My personal dentist will do the crown, the periodontist does the rest.

My extraction wasn’t as bad as yours. He had to wiggle and pull it a bunch, but it got out in one piece. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled out many, many years ago, that was torture. On and off pain for over a week, after that was done.

For reference, if I had no insurance, the cost for all of this would be over $3,500. My Aetna coverage will pay about $1,200 - $1,400. Not cheap, and this is just for one tooth.

• administrators

@burgerwars said in Simple Extraction Gone Awry (Dental):

Earlier this summer I had a lower tooth extracted because of a condition called “external resorption.” I had to wait until the bone below regenerated enough until I could have an implant. I just had that last month. I now have to wait until January for the bone to heal around that before a post can be put onto the implant, then a crown placed on top of that. A long term process, with my periodontist hauling in his dental fees. My personal dentist will do the crown, the periodontist does the rest.

My extraction wasn’t as bad as yours. He had to wiggle and pull it a bunch, but it got out in one piece. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled out many, many years ago, that was torture. On and off pain for over a week, after that was done.

For reference, if I had no insurance, the cost for all of this would be over $3,500. My Aetna coverage will pay about $1,200 - $1,400. Not cheap, and this is just for one tooth.

That sounds really cheap. I’m looking for about $2k for a crown and probably at least $3500 for the implant.

• @burgerwars I don’t have insurance, so I go to an income-based clinic. They charge a sliding-scale fee based on income. I remember paying $179.00 for a simple extraction at an oral surgeon’s, when I lived in MD. I did have a surgical one there, but that wasn’t as bad as this experience. The surgeon was able to cut the tooth easily and pull out the pieces, and he didn’t charge me more because he knew I couldn’t afford it.

At this clinic, you pay a set fee for the visit if you’re below a certain income. I am, so no matter what they do, the cost is the same. The clinic I’m going to for bridges/partials, is the one at the hospital. And that one has a 6 month or more waiting list, I made my appointment back in early July.

These clinics are staffed by former students from the area technical school, and a university across the border in PA that has a dental school. The dentists at this clinic do their residency at the hospital one, where they treat people coming into the emergency room with dental-related injuries, as well as those who have appointments at the clinic. A dentist and an oral surgeon are staffed full-time there. Then they work at one of the two income-based health care clinics, in the dental department. Where they mostly do fillings & extractions.

The tech school provides cleanings at a reduced rate. And senior citizens 65 & older, and below a certain income, get free dental care at a clinic just for them. At least in DE one can find affordable dental care.

So the one thing I don’t have to worry about, is the cost or what insurance covers. I can only imagine what this procedure would have cost normally, wayyyyy more than the flat fee I was charged, which you pay before you see the dentist.

Today I’m feeling better, going to a friend’s for Thanksgiving. Bringing an apple streusel crumb pie, that I baked Tuesday.

• Hope that you continue to feel better each day.

My first wisdom tooth extraction was similar to your experience, but more than 30 years ago. Impacted on the bottom, parallel to the gum. At one point the dentist had me in a headlock. He had no one assisting. No mask, no gloves. I guess standards for sanitation were quite a bit lower back then. Novocaine, and repeated shots of it. It took over an hour to get one tooth out. He did the other 3 teeth at a second appointment. Top 2 teeth weren’t impacted and both were out in 5 minutes or less. The remaining bottom tooth was also impacted, but it took only a half hour and it came out in one piece. Both times, I couldn’t eat anything solid for a week. Thin oatmeal was too hard.

Contrast that with today: My son had all 4 of his impacted wisdom teeth out a couple of years ago. He was put under for it. The procedure went quickly. His recovery was amazing. He was able to drink a shake soon afterwards and was eating semi-solid food later in the day. He took one dose of pain medication, but he didn’t want to bother with it after that.

• What did people do before all this dental technology? Just lose teeth and maybe get dentures?

• @miserly said in Simple Extraction Gone Awry (Dental):

What did people do before all this dental technology? Just lose teeth and maybe get dentures?

They found a slave with nice teeth and had the slave’s teeth ripped out and made into dentures.

@miserly said in Simple Extraction Gone Awry (Dental):

What did people do before all this dental technology? Just lose teeth and maybe get dentures?

They found a slave with nice teeth and had the slave’s teeth ripped out and made into dentures.

I was reading recently about George Washington, and his dentures were a mix of horse teeth and teeth from slaves. Some slaves owners actually sold their teeth to be used in dentures.

Before modern dentistry, I suspect if not dentures, they did without teeth.

I recall an episode of 60 Minutes on CBS covering the street dentistry in India. Tools sterilized with only alcohol, the local medicine man would have a day where he did nothing but extract teeth. And it looked pretty crude and barbaric. No Novocaine used. Oil of Cloves (Eugenol) was all that was available. Many chewed cloves to ease tooth pain. Oil of Cloves temporarily blocks the pain. I imagine this was what dentistry was like for centuries, and still is in 3rd world countries and areas of poverty.

Here we have endodontics, cosmetic dentistry. Bleaching/whitening, veneers - so you can have unnaturally blazing white teeth.

Studies of Egyptian mummies showed that their food contained a lot of sand, including bread. Their teeth were worn, ground down, from consuming food with sand in it.

I’ll have a salad with bread and some grapes, with a side order of fine sand, waiter.

Thank the gods for modern dentistry.

• That was Toothankhamun

That was Toothankhamun

😆

And his 4th cousin Toothangummin. 😝

• I had 2 pulled today, hardest part is not smoking.

DMCA Policy

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.