Postage Rates Going Up 1/24 - (xtra ounce 33% 15 up to 20c) get forever stamps now!

• Global Moderator

Going to put this in HD for a couple of days, then move it to DD, just to be sure people see this. Especially if you ship Ebay items, business mail, etc.

Postage from USPS… get it before rates go up!
    Postage is going up on Jan 24th but not everything goes up the same percent.

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/national-releases/2020/1009-usps-announces-new-prices-for-2021.htm

Forevers are NOT going up, so if you only use forevers for letters and got plenty or you print postage and won’t ever use stamps, move along, this is not a deal you’d be interested in.

Priority, express, parcels and post cards are all going up.

Second ounce is currently 15 cents and is going up to 20 cents (33%).

The post office sells a “forever” additional ounce stamp which currently is selling for 15 cents each but starting on Jan 24th will be worth 20 cents each.

You can use three of these stamps (currently 15 cents x 3 = 45 cents) starting on Jan 24 and it will cover a first class letter (5 cents over actually).

You can also use these on other mail (ie. priority mail, etc) as long as it adds up to current postage. Flat rate envelopes are going up from 7.75 to 7.95. If you don’t mind putting lots of stamps on your envelope, 40 of these (2 panes of 20 stamps) will cost you $6 and will be enough for your flat rate envelope on the 24th. (or u could use 37 of these and a forever if that extra nickel is bugging u).

If you put postage stamps on priority mail, you’ll have to go to the post office window with your package. U cannot just put it in the mail like a printed label.

• Global Moderator

• Global Moderator

@mistercheap said in Postage Rates Going Up 1/24 - (xtra ounce 33% 15 up to 20c) get forever stamps now!:

Are you repeating yourself for emphasis?

Thanks for the good information. The first class domestic postage is not going up.I ALWAYS use Forever stamps when I mail parcels at the Post Office,

They do have extra ounce Forever stamps, so I will stock up on those.

• Global Moderator

@mrvietnam said in Postage Rates Going Up 1/24 - (xtra ounce 33% 15 up to 20c) get forever stamps now!:

@mistercheap said in Postage Rates Going Up 1/24 - (xtra ounce 33% 15 up to 20c) get forever stamps now!:

Are you repeating yourself for emphasis?

Thanks for the good information. The first class domestic postage is not going up.I ALWAYS use Forever stamps when I mail parcels at the Post Office,

They do have extra ounce Forever stamps, so I will stock up on those.

copy/paste gone bad I guess!

• Thank you! Didn’t know about the existence of extra oz. Forever stamp. will get some to mail in State tax returns. I print & mail that to avoid paying the ridiculous efile charge in TurboTax.

• Global Moderator

@mmyk said in Postage Rates Going Up 1/24 - (xtra ounce 33% 15 up to 20c) get forever stamps now!:

Thank you! Didn’t know about the existence of extra oz. Forever stamp. will get some to mail in State tax returns. I print & mail that to avoid paying the ridiculous efile charge in TurboTax.

I just got back from the Post Office. The clerk said technically there is no such thing as an additional ounce Forever stamp. He said the additional ounce stamp does not say “Forever” anywhere on it, but he also said that it should work after the extra ounce increase because it doesn’t say an amount on it, but instead just says “Additional Ounce USA”. So even though it doesn’t explicitly say on it it is a Forever stamp for all practical purposes it is, I got 200.

For those that mail with flat rate Priority boxes, here is how those prices will go up as of 1/24/21:

Small Flat-Rate Box
    current price $8.30
    new price $8.45
    about a 1.8% increase

Medium Flat-Rate Box
    current price
    $15.05
    new price
    $15.50
    about a 2.9% increase

Large Flat-Rate Box
    current price $21.10
    new price $21.90
    about a 3.7% increase

Unfortunately, Office Depot does not sell Additional Ounce stamps; otherwise, you could use their rewards to purchase these stamps.

• re copy/paste gone wrong:
    or as I tell my wife when she is loudly “coaching” me…
    I heard you twice the first time 😉

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.