$5 off @ Mercari - first purchase after sign-up

• Global Moderator

I’ve never heard of them before, so I did a little searching. I’d research the buyer and seller reviews on this online auction service carefully before using. Although their app seems to get stellar reviews, there are tons of complaints/low ratings about the service itself from both sides. On an unrelated note, I find it very amusing that they accept PayPal.

• I came across Mercari a year ago or so, when they started pushing Yahoo Auctions in Japan. They are, admittedly, lower end atm and I’ve never found anything I wanted to buy there myself so far- though i’ve been looking for an opportunity (hence the deal). I think they / similar co’s have a lot of potential, though, because of the differences in mobile marketplace dynamics + “tons of complaints” but “stellar reviews” reminds me a lot of eBay in the early years… 😉

Re PayPal - if this is about eBay, they are now independent co’s + eBay isn’t that big in Japan as far as I can tell. It would be interesting to see if Mercari / others can get a toehold in US the same way they did in Japan or whether eBay will do a better job then YA in the mobile marketplace segment - so far it has not been impressive, imo.

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.