Help with a car rental, please?

• Headed to “beautiful, downtown Burbank” CA (if you don’t get the reference, PM me) at the end of August. Flying into Bob Hope airport in Burbank. Anyone know of a way to find a decent deal on a car rental? Best prices are with Fox and Thrifty, and all online reviews recommend staying as far away from both of those rental agencies as possible.

– Z –

• Compare the rates at the airport with the neighborhood stores.
    A short Lyft to/from could save you mucho.

• Global Moderator

When I had to rent a car last October, the prices were exorbitant, even after any employer or other organization discounts I qualified for.

You might look into the Air B&B equivalent of car rentals (people who rent their cars to others instead of their residences). I don’t know the names of any of these sites but it may be worth searching for reviews to see if it’s a viable option/saves a lot of money.

• @fivetalents said in Help with a car rental, please?:

When I had to rent a car last October, the prices were exorbitant, even after any employer or other organization discounts I qualified for.

You might look into the Air B&B equivalent of car rentals (people who rent their cars to others instead of their residences). I don’t know the names of any of these sites but it may be worth searching for reviews to see if it’s a viable option/saves a lot of money.

Thanks. I did look at this option and saw just enough of horror stories of cars that die or fail in some way to keep me from pursuing. I have a certain level of faith that rental car companies maintain the vehicles in drivable condition so as to not have to give refunds.

—. Z. —

• Just to update - ended up booking through Costco. I know that using a 3rd-party can be a problem, but taking the chance anyway. Best price by about $50 and I don’t have to prepay and can cancel anytime. If I keep watching the prices I may be able to get a better deal.

– Z –

• Trying to be a good citizen and not start a new topic. On my way home to Florida and I’m sitting in the Bob Hope airport in beautiful downtown Burbank. Rented a car for the week from Avis and have a Florida Government Employee discount. Car rental was $266, but taxes and other “fees” brought the total to $383-ish. So, almost a 50% surcharge over the base rental fee. I don’t have enough privs on this site to attach the invoice PDF, but the charges are something like this:

11.11% Concession recover fee. $31.15
    VEH LICENSE RECOUP 1.80/DY. $14.40
    Tax 10.25% (Obviously required). $31.93
    CUSTOMER FACILITY CHG 6.00/DY $30.00
    3.50 CALIFORNIA TOURISM FE $9.31

Can anyone advise if any of the fees are negotiable if I called Avis to complain?

— Z —

• Should have taken my advice up thread.

• @sonofzeus said in Help with a car rental, please?:

Should have taken my advice up thread.

Base rate for Costco would have been an additional 100 to a $150 for the week. By far the best price was the Florida government employee discount. It’s the fees that I’m trying to negotiate down. I feel like the fees would have been the same even if I went through Costco.

• Global Moderator

@zerenia

I doubt even managers have the ability to change fees, but it won’t hurt to call and ask. Maybe try requesting a courtesy credit on the bill, especially if you had any problems with service experience or the car itself. If you’re going to have the car for awhile, maybe ask for a free upgrade or amenity (e.g., unlimited miles, model upgrade, no gas refill requirement, additional driver, etc.). I think your ability to negotiate would have been stronger before you took possession of the car.

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.