Best Buy and Target to stop selling CDs in stores

• Story

I’m getting old I guess. I don’t like buying a digital version of something, I like to own the actual physical item 😞

I looked it up and I bought my first CD in 1987. I still have it and 1000s more now. Sad.

• Although I’m part of the problem, I can’t remember the last time I bought a CD in a store, the last one I bought came direct from the record label. I used to buy a few a week, now I buy a few a year. Get off my lawn.

• THIS,
    A digital license is to rent, you don’t own SHIT, no resale value.

• I wasn’t even thinking about resale, but that’s a good point.

• Hear, hear! Huzzah!!
    The buying of CDs, that is, not the stores deciding to stop stocking CDs B&M.
    Someone I know spent a ridiculous amount of money on a speaker for their iPhone/digital content and was bragging and did a “show and tell” )“listen and tell”?) and I thought it sounded like utter crap. Then I had to laugh and wonder about myself remembering the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Ray buys his dad all his favorite record albums on CD and his dad hates it, then Robert gets them all on old records and the dad listens to the scratchy records and says how much better it is.
    Just call me Frank!
    “And we liked it!” angry old man skit from SNL

• @sublimosa said in Best Buy and Target to stop selling CDs in stores:

Hear, hear! Huzzah!!
    The buying of CDs, that is, not the stores deciding to stop stocking CDs B&M.
    Someone I know spent a ridiculous amount of money on a speaker for their iPhone/digital content and was bragging and did a “show and tell” )“listen and tell”?) and I thought it sounded like utter crap. Then I had to laugh and wonder about myself remembering the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Ray buys his dad all his favorite record albums on CD and his dad hates it, then Robert gets them all on old records and the dad listens to the scratchy records and says how much better it is.
    Just call me Frank!
    “And we liked it!” angry old man skit from SNL

vinyl has much deeper sound than digital. It’s all a scam by RIAA

• I haven’t bought a CD in a while. The interest they pay is too low.

• @sublimosa Kids these days! There’s a whole generation growing up that hear their music on fizzy, tinny little speakers plugged into a phone. SAD. I’ve made a point of letting my daughter play “her” music on “my” big old school hi-fi. Even Katy Perry sounds better and my daughter (gratifyingly) notices the difference.

Actually Katy Perry’s stuff is well produced. Just not my thing 🙂

• This is just a tactic to get the major labels to go to Scan-Based Trading (mentioned, but not by name, in the article).

Target doesn’t want to get stuck with thousands of copies of non-sellable CDs that it paid for upfront. SBT solves that, labels only get paid for CDs that were sold.

SBT is becoming pretty common with food products at major grocery stores too.

There are other articles on stereogum that put out more detail about this:
    stereogum article

• @ctujackbauer I understand how Target and Best Buy would like to negotiate a better deal with the labels, but even when my teenage self worked for a record store back in [redacted] unsold inventory was the label’s problem not the stores. The store did pay upfront (that’s Target’s gripe) but ultimately if a new album didn’t sell as expected the copies went back for a credit on the account.

If CDs are selling at 10% of the volume they used to sell at there is no denying they are going away from mainstream stores.

Streaming music sounds like shit. SAD.

• we just need hipsters to think CD sound quality is the best and they’ll be back!

• @miserly said in Best Buy and Target to stop selling CDs in stores:

we just need hipsters to think CD sound quality is the best and they’ll be back!

the fact that music company can’t just yank back a song(s) on CD is enough reason to me, with both amazon and apple, read the license, they have the power to terminate license and delete the song on your device. That alone should be enough reason to use CD/Vinyl

DMCA Policy

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.