Long term car rental. Tips tricks for the best rate or upgrades

• Looks like im getting a pt job where ill be driving. Like 1k miles a week minimum. So i was looking at long term rentals if i can get the price right. Currently i essentially have a crown vic (mercury gran marquis) because im FATWALLET now PHATWALLET to the core. Its very reliable but id kill it driving all those miles.
    So … i figure id get a long term rental if the price is right. Best i can find is tiny for about 650 a month. Which is the high side of what i WANT to spend. So come here to beg the knowledge of the family to see what tips n tricks y’all know.
    The 650 a week would be an easy spend if it was a full size car or something. But for a tiny car im hesitant.
    So besides waiting in the parking lot across from the rental place and waiting till they are out of tiny cars before i go to do an easy exchange.
    What tips n tricks and especially what coupons or money saving ides do u have for me ??

• Was that 650 a week or month? Last time I checked Enterprise it was just under $1000 with tax for the month. If you needed extra days though they screwed you and charged the day rate.

• Sorry. $650ish … Per month

• Have you tried Enterprise? Rate can differ by $300/mo depending on zip.
    Long Term Car Rental (Month-Or-More program)
    link

Budget ~$450 ford focus & idk otd $

• If you’re concerned about comfort, don’t get stuck in something for 4300 miles. Try Costco. Their weekly rentals are around 250 or less, all in, and you can at least find something comfortable before renting long term. I can’t figure out how to insert a pic, but a weekly (Dec 2 -9) rental in zip 14221 has Budget intermediate (Elantra/similar) for 207 all in. For 10 bucks more you can get a standard (Legacy/similar) or full size (Malibu/similar). All include unlimited miles. Once you find one that suits you, try to negotiate directly with the office for a monthly rate of that particular car. I don’t really think they care, but it’s possible your high mileage might throw them off, so also try a different location.

If you hit Enterprise or anyone else who tries to rent you a Caprice, run. Don’t look back. Run.

Thanks to @fivetalents for the pointers. Here is the screenshot that I just described:

0_1509605131144_2017-11-02 02_44_55-Costco Travel.png

• Global Moderator

@honkinggoose said in Long term car rental. Tips tricks for the best rate or upgrades:

… I can’t figure out how to insert a pic…

I hope that’s not due to your earlier software glitches. If it’s just because you haven’t done it on this site yet, these links might help…

• @honkinggoose said:

One of my many talents. “grin”

@fivetalents said:
    I hope that’s not due to your earlier software glitches

At the time, it wasn’t. It was due to being lazy and dense, or my friend, Mr. Blanton. "laugh"
    It actually isn’t available without allowing the javascript from anrdoezrs. I am temporarily enabling it to edit a post. I’m not sure if I will continue to do that, or just work around it manually … thus leaving my multitude of errors and typos for all to see. “sad” Having to write my emoticons is almost nostalgic though. I’m on a 1200 baud modem on a PCBoard BBS. “old grin”

• Global Moderator

@honkinggoose said in Long term car rental. Tips tricks for the best rate or upgrades:

@honkinggoose said:

One of my many talents. “grin”

@fivetalents said:
    I hope that’s not due to your earlier software glitches

At the time, it wasn’t. It was due to being lazy and dense, or my friend, Mr. Blanton. "laugh"
    It actually isn’t available without allowing the javascript from anrdoezrs. I am temporarily enabling it to edit a post. I’m not sure if I will continue to do that, or just work around it manually … thus leaving my multitude of errors and typos for all to see. “sad” Having to write my emoticons is almost nostalgic though. I’m on a 1200 baud modem on a PCBoard BBS. “old grin”

I like having a cheap tablet or old mobile phone/phablet left over after an upgrade (and factory reset/wiped clean of any personal data) to use for things I don’t feel is secure enough to do on my PC or primary mobile phone. That way you can do most things on your PC/primary phone but jump on the personal-data-free device as needed.

• Don’t forget to somehow factor in the cost of insurance. You need collision damage, and liability of course.

• Without running $$, I second Costco.
    When I rented a car (week), they had the best rates.

• Couldn’t read the Costco ad. Those prices are per week? Cause $183 a month is insane.

• yeah costco is per week … still tho …

• @zapjb

Those prices were for Dec 2 - 9, 2017 in zip 14221. Those prices naturally change by the date and the location. Usually airport affiliated locations are more expensive. I just checked and Dec 2, 17 - Jan 2,18 will cost 838, all in, for a full size at the same location. You can check the prices yourself, sorry for not providing the link earlier - www.costcotravel.com. You can check prices without membership, but will need your member number to book.

• No worries.

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.