PenFed Mortage Recent Experiences?

• Hey folks…there was a good thread that might not have made it over that talked about PenFed Mortgage application and process back in the day. However, I’m looking for recent datapoints. I have been trying to reach them for a week now without any success. It is also the week when everything in the markets went crazy so I’m going to cut them some slack (largest point drop ever, largest point rise ever, emergency rate cut by Fed etc).

If PenFed isn’t the same low-rate leader nowadays, who is?

• Global Moderator

• i went to costco.com and contacted the lowest rate lenders from about 8. i locked in 15 yo conventional at 2.625% with no points. interesting though, 1 had $1800 in lender fees, the other had just under $1k. I don’t get why there is such a disparity. i applied for these over a week ago and i had applied 2 weeks ago to a couple of lenders at 3% .

Now my question is when is the last responsible moment to go with 1 lender? at point of ordering appraisal? between the 2 lenders, 1 has impound account (lower fee) and the other doesn’t. 1 has rate lock until end of april, the other until end of march. first has lower fees but impound but lock until end of april. i’m concerned that somehow the lender with higher fee but no impound won’t close on time and i have to pay additional fees to continue the lock. any advice?

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.