No sound on my PC

• 1000 Club

@flatbob said in No sound on my PC:

@phat200 I would trying adding a sound card. A basic one is $25 or less and a breeze to install. Even better if you know where you can get one pulled from another PC. You might have to disable the onboard sound card in the BIOS.

I think this is a misunderstanding of terminology. Unless the is a computer
    that someone slapped together in their garage. It has both front and rear
    audio jacks. In the user manual there are several different form factors
    but all have audio jacks (3.5mm plugins) and I think except for maybe
    the horizontal SFF model , all have built-in speakers. And zero
    sound card slots. Maybe a usb sound card adapter.
    Also, since this is a no earlier than 2011 computer the chance of it
    not having on board sound are virtually nil.

• @fmb1 said in No sound on my PC:

…That aside, I’ll assume you are talking about plugging into a
    3.5mm headphone jack and if that is the case, one of your
    Playback devices should be Headphones and it should NOT
    say Not plugged in. If it says Not plugged in, then that is
    gonna be the problem because the headphone jack is also
    a speaker jack…

Short version. Good news. Sound problem solved.

How I got there:

I have no headphone and no microphone. I plugged my external speakers into the jack on the back. In fiddling around to answer your question, I notice that when I put my cursor on the speaker icon in the PlayBack Device tab, there is a Configure button. So I click on it.; and a Speaker Setup pops up with a test button. The only Audio Channel available in the box is Stereo. I click on the Test button; and I get an error “Fail to play test tone” Or if I click on the left/right speaker icon on the right diagram, I get the same error.

So I google the error message and found an article @ https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-failed-to-play-test-tone-error-on-windows-7-8-and-10/

The last Method fix my situation.

Thank you for persisting. Otherwise, I would be re-setting my PC to some degree.

• 500 Club

Congratulations!

• 1000 Club

@phat200 said in No sound on my PC:

@fmb1 said in No sound on my PC:

…That aside, I’ll assume you are talking about plugging into a
    3.5mm headphone jack and if that is the case, one of your
    Playback devices should be Headphones and it should NOT
    say Not plugged in. If it says Not plugged in, then that is
    gonna be the problem because the headphone jack is also
    a speaker jack…

Short version. Good news. Sound problem solved.

How I got there:

I have no headphone and no microphone. I plugged my external speakers into the jack on the back. In fiddling around to answer your question, I notice that when I put my cursor on the speaker icon in the PlayBack Device tab, there is a Configure button. So I click on it.; and a Speaker Setup pops up with a test button. The only Audio Channel available in the box is Stereo. I click on the Test button; and I get an error “Fail to play test tone” Or if I click on the left/right speaker icon on the right diagram, I get the same error.

So I google the error message and found an article @ https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-failed-to-play-test-tone-error-on-windows-7-8-and-10/

The last Method fix my situation.

Thank you for persisting. Otherwise, I would be re-setting my PC to some degree.

You can send my GENIUS medal after the pandemic.
    The rest of y’all, no applause is necessary,
    I can do my struttin’ without it. 😁 😁 😁
    Seriously, happy to help.

Or this?

A side question. How do you upload this attachment? I was trying to upload an image of the test results and I didn’t find an attachment/upload button.

• 1000 Club

@phat200 said in No sound on my PC:

@fmb1 said in No sound on my PC:

Or this?

A side question. How do you upload this attachment? I was trying to upload an image of the test results and I didn’t find an attachment/upload button.

If you already have the image saved to your computer and on PhW and in this thread just hit reply
    then along the top symbols, the far right next to the emoji symbol is a black cloud with an arrow
    (upload). That will open W Explorer. Go to where the image is saved, highlight the file and click
    "Open", that will take you back to reply. depending on size, it will take a few seconds to upload.
    No matter what, DO NOT MESS WITH that line. You will not see the image while still in reply,
    only after you send the reply.

• 1000 Club

I need to apologize to you. I was so happy that your computer was fixed, I didn’t acknowledge
    that you were the one that found the fix, and I only pointed you to a tool to help you.
    You did ALL the legwork. Congratulations.

I need to apologize to you. I was so happy that your computer was fixed, I didn’t acknowledge
    that you were the one that found the fix, and I only pointed you to a tool to help you.
    You did ALL the legwork. Congratulations.
    It was a team effort. If you hadn’t persisted, I wouldn’t have gotten to that error message that led me to the solution.

And thanks for the response as to how to upload.

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.