i5 vs i7 Samsung laptop, which to keep

• so i got one of each i5 with 8gb RAM and a i7 with 12gb RAM. storage is also 256 gb vs 512 gb between the i5 and i7 machines with a cost difference of $120. i think for $120 the upgrades seem reasonable. because i’m curious, i install and run passmark computer benchmarking software. the i5 beat the i7 5 of 6 times. now i’m in a dilemma. which one do i keep? if there is no appreciable difference between the 2, why keep the more expensive one. and secondly, why isn’t there an appreciable difference between the two. the i7 with more RAM should have performed better, no?

• 500 Club

How hard is it for a non-tekkie to run benchmark software? I’m on a 2014 HP 17" Pavilion and am starting to think about purchasing a newer 17" laptop (I like the screen size, and I rarely take it anywhere). But prices have more than doubled since I bought mine, so decision-making is more important than ever.

• administrators

@miserly said in i5 vs i7 Samsung laptop, which to keep:

so i got one of each i5 with 8gb RAM and a i7 with 12gb RAM. storage is also 256 gb vs 512 gb between the i5 and i7 machines with a cost difference of $120. i think for $120 the upgrades seem reasonable. because i’m curious, i install and run passmark computer benchmarking software. the i5 beat the i7 5 of 6 times. now i’m in a dilemma. which one do i keep? if there is no appreciable difference between the 2, why keep the more expensive one. and secondly, why isn’t there an appreciable difference between the two. the i7 with more RAM should have performed better, no?

i7 tends to draw more power. Just i5 vs i7 is not a fair comparison, for example the i5 could be new gen and i7 old gen. Can you post more details?

CPU model
    HD/SSD model

• @dangeruss
    i5-10201U vs i7-10510U
    8gb vs 12gb
    256gb vs 512 gb. i can get additional info on the hdd when i get home.
    the 256gb hdd is SN and and 512gb is made by samsung

• @dionaea easy. goto passmark and download the software and run it. i think specs are one thing and real life usage are another. for example, i need it to be light because i plan on being on the road. anything more than 3lbs is no go for me.

• administrators

@miserly said in i5 vs i7 Samsung laptop, which to keep:

the 256gb hdd is SN and and 512gb is made by samsung

SN? do you have model numbers?

• @dangeruss SN730 SDBQNTY-256G-1004

• looking online, most places say these two chips are comparable performance wise. i guess now the question is do i want the larger ssd. i have never felt the drive capacity was too small on my 256gb on my xps.

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.