I need a new computer

• 500 Club

The powered USB port on my laptop died. Yes, I’ve tried everything, its the port. Evidently it comes off the motherboard. So I can’t attach my printer.
    I tried connecting my printer wirelessly and failed.
    So I can’t print. The laptop is fine otherwise.
    I decided to get a refurbed Dell Optiplex to replace the laptop.
    It had everything I needed including wireless.
    I bought a new monitor.
    Set it up and it didn’t stay powered on. I had to send it back.
    I haven’t found another Optiplex that has WLAN.
    I’m not confident that if I get an external wireless card that I could get it working.
    I read the thread about the $104 Dell laptop on Amazon.
    There are refurb laptops with wireless but no LAN.
    Do I need LAN? I don’t think so…
    I don’t need Touch. I would like DVD RW.

Should I get an Optiplex and an external wireless dongle or a laptop that has wireless and hope that I can attach the new monitor and a full size keyboard?

I prefer business vs. home machines which is why I like Optiplex and Latitude from Dell.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 500 Club

@zerenia thanks. I don’t know what specs I need. I just go with “bigger is better” and “more power!” (Tim the Toolman).

Does “OptiPlex offers support for WiFi-6E, a next generation technology that brings you faster speeds and better performance, wherever you choose to work.” mean that it has a wifi card?

It’s $200 more than a 3080 refurb with no wifi although it comes with a license for W11 so I guess it’s an investment towards the future.
    IDK how much an external wireless card would be + take it to have it installed if I can’t figure it out.

40% off Dell OptiPlex 3080 Desktops (excl. Hot Deals), most only $329. Free ground ship – use coupon code: 40OPTIPLEX3080

These have DVD-RW.

• administrators

@my4mainecoons could you try harder to connect wirelessly? I have a wireless printer and I’m never going back.

• 500 Club

@dangeruss I have tried and tried. I’ve even tried 2 different new printers. It prints but gets hung up in space so the image is faded and smears. They’re laser jets. The images were dark and they didn’t smear when they were USB connected. Labels are particularly bad so I stopped selling on eBay!

• administrators

@my4mainecoons said in I need a new computer:

@dangeruss I have tried and tried. I’ve even tried 2 different new printers. It prints but gets hung up in space so the image is faded and smears. They’re laser jets. The images were dark and they didn’t smear when they were USB connected. Labels are particularly bad so I stopped selling on eBay!

That’s so weird… could it be the router or the driver?

• 500 Club

@dangeruss I have no idea. I’m not savvy enough to troubleshoot it. I’ve installed & reinstalled the drivers for both printers more than once. One of the printers has a flashing light saying there’s a problem. One has a screen message about something that I don’t know what it means. I reset the laptop to factory settings. The problem is me, not the hardware (other than the dead USB port).

Believe me, buying a new computer is a last resort. The laptop is fine otherwise.

• 500 Club

I got this one.
    No DVD but the burner on my laptop works.
    Has wireless card which is much more important than DVD.
    I5 10500T processor launched in 2020 will handle W11.
    40% off, FS, 5% CB & $2.50 from TCB almost covers the sales tax.
    IDK about the micro chassis but will try it.
    There are 30 of them so if I get another dud they should be able to exchange it.
    @dangeRuss another $350 on my new Chase Ink card. $4375/$6000 in 2 weeks.

• @my4mainecoons said in I need a new computer:

@zerenia thanks. I don’t know what specs I need. I just go with “bigger is better” and “more power!” (Tim the Toolman).

Does “OptiPlex offers support for WiFi-6E, a next generation technology that brings you faster speeds and better performance, wherever you choose to work.” mean that it has a wifi card?

It’s $200 more than a 3080 refurb with no wifi although it comes with a license for W11 so I guess it’s an investment towards the future.
    IDK how much an external wireless card would be + take it to have it installed if I can’t figure it out.

40% off Dell OptiPlex 3080 Desktops (excl. Hot Deals), most only $329. Free ground ship – use coupon code: 40OPTIPLEX3080

These have DVD-RW.

The box I linked to has this in the details:

MediaTek MT7921 Wi-Fi 6 Wireless Card + Bluetooth

That tells me that you get wifi built in.

The ones you linked to specifically state No Wifi.

The box I linked to is showing at $549, so $50 less than the boxes you linked to. But, the processor is an i3, not an i5. Depending on what you do with the computer, you may nor may not notice the difference. The challenge is that all the computers have different amounts of RAM and hard disk. For my tastes, more RAM and faster processor mean that the machine will usually support operating system updates for a longer period of time. You can always move files to a thumb drive or SD Card, or online storage like Dropbox or OneDrive.

– Z –

• 500 Club

@zerenia Thanks. The one I got (linked above) has an I5 10500T processor and built in WiFi for ~$350 with FS. No DVD but that’s ok. This has been an ordeal. I just wanted to get it over with. I hope I got something between the one you linked and the first ones I looked at. Thanks for your help! I learned to compare processors. I recall being told “memory is cheap” so I didn’t worry about only getting 8GB. I think 500 GB is plenty for a HD. I hope I did ok… SFF has 4 memory slots, IDK how many slots the micro chassis has.

• @my4mainecoons I think you did pretty well. External DVD drive is under $50 and you don’t have to get a Dell-branded DVD drive. You may have four slots, but it depends on how many are being used to deliver the 8GB of RAM. If two are used, you can add more later but have to get a pair that is compatible with whatever is already in the PC. You run into problems when you mix memory speeds and sometimes a computer only wants to have exactly the same RAM in each of the slots. Best bet, when the time comes that you decide you want more RAM, is to go to the website of RAM manufacturers and use their tools to determine what RAM will work best.

– Z –

• 500 Club

@zerenia Thank you. I feel relieved to know that I didn’t make a bad choice. I was filtering for SFF and DVD-RW. None of those machines had WLAN. I changed to “any” chassis and dropped the DVD.

I like SFF because they’re easy to work on. I’ve only replaced fans and BIOS batteries or removed the HD but it’s been easy. Every office I’ve worked in has used SFF. So it’s familiarity. I owned one USFF years ago and it didn’t last but you linked a micro so I reconsidered.

I realized that I only burn a DVD once a year during tax season! I can put the files on USB or burn the DVD on the laptop. I’ve always had a burner or player including at work. I just had to realize that I don’t need it.

I’ve never added memory myself, someone did it for me. The specs say it has 1@8GB memory. So if I want more I should go with 1@8GB and not 2@4GB, right? And I shouldn’t add e.g. just 4GB?

• @my4mainecoons The Dell online customer replaceable parts guide shows only 2 RAM slots in the unit, so another 8GB stick of RAM makes sense. RAM is relatively inexpensive. Crucial.com is my favorite place to shop. You can get another 8GB stick for $20. If the machine is laggy and if you’re running Windows and resource monitor show that you are using most of the 8GB, the 2nd 8GB will help tons, but I wouldn’t add the RAM unless I was having machine performance issues.

—. Z. —

• 500 Club

@zerenia Do you think that I will need it to run W11?

• @my4mainecoons Nope. 8GB should be OK. You can always add it later if you need it. If you are doing a scratch Win 11 install and don’t have the Dell utilities, 8 GB will be fine. Even with the Dell utility, most people are OK. If you start doing video editing or anything with creating and editing large files, you will likely need the extra RAM.

— Z —

• 500 Club

Tech lifecycle. I just bought a PC that doesn’t have CD/DVD player.

Recently I realized that I already own an external player. I bought it ~2000 because a PC didn’t have one. It’s been on a shelf for at least 15 years and now I’m hoping to use it again because my newer PC needs it.

I purchased a micro form factor CPU. The external CD player is one and a half times the size of the CPU.

• I honestly can’t remember the last time I used a CD/DVD.

• 500 Club

@mtnagel I own QuickBooks Pro 2019 on disc. I used QB Pro 2000 for 18 years. Having a disc means no annual subscription fees. It also means that I can install it on my new machine. I miss having software on discs.

• @my4mainecoons said in I need a new computer:

@mtnagel I own QuickBooks Pro 2019 on disc. I used QB Pro 2000 for 18 years. Having a disc means no annual subscription fees. It also means that I can install it on my new machine. I miss having software on discs.

I haven’t done it in forever, but you can convert the CD to ISO that you can run from your computer without needing the CD/drive in the future.

https://www.howtogeek.com/228886/how-to-create-iso-files-from-discs-on-windows-mac-and-linux/

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.