Seagate Backup Plus Hub 6TB External Desktop Hard Drive Storage STEL6000100 $114.99 + FS @ Amazon

• Seagate Backup Plus Hub 6TB External Desktop Hard Drive Storage STEL6000100

Two integrated high-speed USB 3.0 ports on the front allow you to connect and recharge your other USB devices
    Formatted for Windows computers out of the box
    Install the provided NTFS driver for Mac and use the drive interchangeably between Windows and Mac computers without reformatting
    With Seagate Dashboard software, you can easily back all your documents, photos and videos by a programmable schedule or on-demand backups.

• administrators

• Thanks for sharing the stats.

I am SHOCKED that BackBlaze is using desktop-grade hard drives for about half of their drives. The Seagates they are using are desktop grade drives – the HGST are enterprise grade. I realize they have a fault tolerant setup, and while I am not an IT expert here, it seems like they are taking financial short-cuts…

Regarding Seagate, while the failure rates on the linked site are for one quarter, if you drill down you can get the Q3 2017 cumulative “lifetime info” via download. The Seagate model that represents 40% or so of their inventory, has a 3% annual failure rate, which is pretty amazing considering the average age of the these drives is a bit under 3 years and they are operating in an environment they aren’t designed for (24/7 data center). The 3.27% shown here is for one quarter, the cumulative rate is 3.00% over several years, which isn’t great but isn’t unexpected for 24/7 use of a product not designed for such use.

All that said, the HGST enterprise grade drives have cumulative failure annual rates of 0.5 - 0.8%, and those drives are ~4-5 years old. That’s still impressive, given their age – about 1-2% of the drives have cumulatively failed in roughly 4 years in a harsh data center environment.

• administrators

@high-technology I believe in the beginning they were using all consumer grade drives. When you have a proper fault tolerant set up, I guess the drive class doesn’t matter, and consumer grade drives were a LOT cheaper. I believe they were using the old trick of buying external drives(which were cheaper) and taking the drive out.

• For those that subscribe, today’s FRY’s PromoCode Deals email entitled “Ready… Set… Gold!” has a code that works on this drive at Fry’s for $99. if you click where it says “Tap Here for all 232 deals”, and scroll down a bit you’ll see it…

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be available for shipping, though it does seem to be available in most stores for pickup and also for local delivery.

It might come back in stock for shipping (I’ve experienced that a few times with Fry’s) – but at $99 + 1,083 for delivery to me to New York, the delivery charge really “kills the deal”!

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.