redpocket

• switching my wife over from pageplus to redpocket within the next week or so.
    page plus has been fine, but the redpocket plan will be $10 less for same stuff, and it’s USA owned

• I’ve been using Mintsim, AKA UltraMobile, which resells T-mobile service.
    MintSim offers $15/MO for Unlimited min/texts/2GB/MO 4G LTE, while redpocket ofers Unlimited minutes/texts,/500 MB 4G LTE data for $19.

Only catch is you have to prepay for a year, but they give you a couple days for refund.

• Global Moderator

Yep, I switched over one of our lines to MintSIM about four months ago. It works pretty much the same as our TMOB postpay line, so far.

I did also grab a few of the $1 LG Charge X phones on Xfinity Mobile a couple of weeks ago, and I’ll be watching that program very, very closely, because right now it seems like the best cell deal I’ve ever come across. Gen-yoo-wine Verizon service (including stuff like Conditional Call Forwarding, not always available on Prepay) with unlimited calls/SMS for around $3 a month in garbage fees. If you need data, another $12/GB/mo. What’s nice too is that the Xfinity app automatically logs you into any available Xfinity hotspot for free data.

Not ready to give up my $180/yr MintSIM just yet. Waiting to see if there’s a horseshoe in the proverbial glove. Besides, I paid for a year already!

• Global Moderator

@ctcarl said in redpocket:

Xfinity Mobile

Don’t you have to have Comcast to get this though? I have several leftover Tmobile phones I’d like to get cheap service on to keep around for emergencies and travel, the MintSim offer keeps showing up in my FB feed.

• Global Moderator

@ananrefugee said in redpocket:

@ctcarl said in redpocket:

Xfinity Mobile

Don’t you have to have Comcast to get this though? I have several leftover Tmobile phones I’d like to get cheap service on to keep around for emergencies and travel, the MintSim offer keeps showing up in my FB feed.

Yes, correct. You do need some form of Comcast/Xfinity service.

• switched over sunday (wife’s phone) ported from pageplus to redpocket, will save just over $12 fro the same plan, and redpocket is an American owned company.
    2 issues with the process (their problems)
    i ordered the plan via their website, $30 monthly, and they sent the sim needed for the network, ran through the port on line, on the account page, there is a link for “check mobile account status” which you have to set up in addition to the other account sign up, no where does it tell you that.
    then i wanted to sigh up for the auto refill, so it activated it same day, so i had to then get back on the chat and get that sorted out, as had already paid for that.
    outside of those hiccups, the port went through in less than 2 minutes and everything is working as intended on the VZ towers, i guess to avoid the couple of problems, i suppose i could have found a dealer, but everything was sorted through live chat, on a Sunday morning, and i would have had to put on pants

• Sticking with PagePlus. It’s on the Verizon network and is only $80 a year. Only $6.67 a month, find something cheaper than that.

• @redmed said in redpocket:

Sticking with PagePlus. It’s on the Verizon network and is only $80 a year. Only $6.67 a month, find something cheaper than that.

red pocket can be on any of the 4 networks (you choose) and while they don’t have a $80/year plan, they do have $90/ year plan that gives you 500 min/text/data EACH month. depending on your usage, that can be a LOT cheaper than the PP plan.

• @miserly where is this $90/yr plan? i don’t see it on the website. i have ~$35 left on my t-mobile sim and about to jump ship

• Global Moderator

@redmed said in redpocket:

Sticking with PagePlus. It’s on the Verizon network and is only $80 a year. Only $6.67 a month, find something cheaper than that.

There must have been some changes over at PagePlus. I had them for a year or so, and other than the fact that they were a Verizon MVNO, I didn’t find much to recommend them.

When I had the 2000 minute plan, it was a “3G only plan”. That didn’t just mean you couldn’t get LTE data, it meant that they would not activate an LTE device. Wasn’t a problem for me at the time, I had ZTE Venture 3G phones. But in 2017, that strikes me as a pretty serious limitation for any cell plan.

The other problem I had with PP (on a monthly plan) was that autopay routinely did not “re-up”. The dealer I used…and I had to use a dealer, because the 2000 minute plan was a “secret” plan that was only available through dealers…warned me in advance that, due to some sort of bug with PP, sometimes your autopay wouldn’t “take” and your account would expire. Several times I got to work and found that my account had expired in the middle of the night and I would have to scramble to re-activate.

Finally the dealer suggested that I put an additional $10 prepay credit on my account, and that would cover any brief lapses due to the renewal process. It seemed to work, but I felt that having to deal with a band-aid like that reflected poorly on PP.

All other things being equal, $80/year for cell service is pretty reasonable but, depending upon your usage, there are alternatives. For example, another Verizon MVNO, Selectel Wireless, has a 2000 min/1500 text yearly plan for $75.00. I used them for a year with no issues. They used to offer a $100/year plan with LTE data, don’t know if that’s still available though.

Right now, if you’re an Xfinity customer, I would go as far as to say that it’s impossible to beat Xfinity Wireless’ rates. I have several lines now with unlimited talk & text on Verizon for about $36/yr each.

If you’re not an Xfinity customer and you’re a very light user, Tello bears looking into. I have one line left on Tello. Their PAYG rates start at $10, which gives you up to 333 minutes of talk time, 1000 texts, or 500 MB of 4G LTE data, and as long as you place at least one call every six months, your credits never expire. So far I have one very light user on Tello PAYG for almost a year for $10. That is hard to beat.

If you don’t mind a T-Mobile MVNO, MintSIM is a pretty good value if you need data. They’ll sell you a yearly plan with unlimited minutes, text and data (throttled after 2 GB 4G LTE) for $180/yr.

• 500 Club

@louis-redfoot

it’s on ebay

• Boom mobile also has vzw phone capabilities if anyone is in need, using vzw towers. I went for their cheap talk/text/data from pageplus.

• @ctcarl damn! tello doesn’t like my vertu ☹ … their paygo is the best i’ve seen

at this point i have a $3/minimum-month t-mobile paygo (10c per text/minute, no data) that i almost never use. i’m always home and i use google hangouts via ipad for free. essentially i pay $3/month just to have a mobile line open.

• Global Moderator

@louis-redfoot said in redpocket:

@ctcarl damn! tello doesn’t like my vertu ☹ … their paygo is the best i’ve seen

at this point i have a $3/minimum-month t-mobile paygo (10c per text/minute, no data) that i almost never use. i’m always home and i use google hangouts via ipad for free. essentially i pay $3/month just to have a mobile line open.

That’s not bad at all. I have a grandfathered TMOB “Golden Rewards” prepay line where any refill is good for a year. So every year I throw another $10 refill on, and keep it in my glovebox for emergencies.

• @ctcarl google hangouts actually worked when i was in europe too. made free calls back to america (over wifi). pretty nice backup plan, best price in town. and i have it set to ring both my mobile and ipad for incoming calls.

• @louis-redfoot said in redpocket:

@ctcarl damn! tello doesn’t like my vertu ☹ … their paygo is the best i’ve seen

Was interested, but see you have to pay every month and it’s $3 + tax & fees. Too much hassle. Once a year is hassle enough. I have had my PagePlus account for 4+ years pay $80 (or less if I can find a deal) once a year. Plus any unused minutes rollover. My account currently has over $200 credit, so for the limited amount we use it, this is my wife’s phone that she keeps in her purse. Our other unlimited Verizon phone is our main phone. For a second phone it works perfect for us.

• @redmed you’re a little off with the details, but whatever, looks like you’re on top of things

• @cacher said in redpocket:

Boom mobile also has vzw phone capabilities if anyone is in need, using vzw towers. I went for their cheap talk/text/data from pageplus.

had pageplus for several years, no problems at all, the redpocked plan winds up saving us about $12/monthly and it’s an American owned company

• @ctcarl said in redpocket:

@redmed said in redpocket:

There must have been some changes over at PagePlus. I had them for a year or so, and other than the fact that they were a Verizon MVNO, I didn’t find much to recommend them.

When I had the 2000 minute plan, it was a “3G only plan”. That didn’t just mean you couldn’t get LTE data, it meant that they would not activate an LTE device. Wasn’t a problem for me at the time, I had ZTE Venture 3G phones. But in 2017, that strikes me as a pretty serious limitation for any cell plan.

The other problem I had with PP (on a monthly plan) was that autopay routinely did not “re-up”. The dealer I used…and I had to use a dealer, because the 2000 minute plan was a “secret” plan that was only available through dealers…warned me in advance that, due to some sort of bug with PP, sometimes your autopay wouldn’t “take” and your account would expire. Several times I got to work and found that my account had expired in the middle of the night and I would have to scramble to re-activate.

Finally the dealer suggested that I put an additional $10 prepay credit on my account, and that would cover any brief lapses due to the renewal process. It seemed to work, but I felt that having to deal with a band-aid like that reflected poorly on PP.

All other things being equal, $80/year for cell service is pretty reasonable but, depending upon your usage, there are alternatives. For example, another Verizon MVNO, Selectel Wireless, has a 2000 min/1500 text yearly plan for $75.00. I used them for a year with no issues. They used to offer a $100/year plan with LTE data, don’t know if that’s still available though.

Right now, if you’re an Xfinity customer, I would go as far as to say that it’s impossible to beat Xfinity Wireless’ rates. I have several lines now with unlimited talk & text on Verizon for about $36/yr each.

If you’re not an Xfinity customer and you’re a very light user, Tello bears looking into. I have one line left on Tello. Their PAYG rates start at $10, which gives you up to 333 minutes of talk time, 1000 texts, or 500 MB of 4G LTE data, and as long as you place at least one call every six months, your credits never expire. So far I have one very light user on Tello PAYG for almost a year for $10. That is hard to beat.

If you don’t mind a T-Mobile MVNO, MintSIM is a pretty good value if you need data. They’ll sell you a yearly plan with unlimited minutes, text and data (throttled after 2 GB 4G LTE) for $180/yr.

i never had a problem with auto refill, for several years

• @ctcarl i do the same thing…throw minimum at the t mobile plan once a year and put that older phone in my glove compartment just in case

• So far, so good $29.99 auto refill worked on Halloween

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.