Walgreens To Close 200 Stores (exact list not yet known)

• Global Moderator

• I would drive 60 miles for half price booze.

• obviously the completion from Walmart and online is killing retail. Probably 70 % of Walgreen and Rite Aid stores are within 5 miles of Walmart. Wife did a price comparison last year and it so tipped in WM favor… 6 pack great value raisins .99 for 2 years already…Gallon spring water .60 cents …now 82 cents in WM…great value allergy nose spray 1.29…WG brand. 4.99. etc…gallon milk in WM around here is 2.59…WG is 399. CVS is the same high priced outlet unless you can get extra bucks on some good sales…Those are rare. My small successful biz I sold 15 years ago still thrives in this economy… Diagnostic auto repair. No big box shop comes close.

• Global Moderator

@barrytuneup said in Walgreens To Close 200 Stores (exact list not yet known):

obviously the completion from Walmart and online is killing retail. Probably 70 % of Walgreen and Rite Aid stores are within 5 miles of Walmart. Wife did a price comparison last year and it so tipped in WM favor… 6 pack great value raisins .99 for 2 years already…Gallon spring water .60 cents …now 82 cents in WM…great value allergy nose spray 1.29…WG brand. 4.99. etc…gallon milk in WM around here is 2.59…WG is 399. CVS is the same high priced outlet unless you can get extra bucks on some good sales…Those are rare. My small successful biz I sold 15 years ago still thrives in this economy… Diagnostic auto repair. No big box shop comes close.

Not sure on that @barrytuneup this is a pretty small number of stores. they may just be in poor locations or too close to other drug stores to be profitable. All the Walgreens in my area seem to be doing pretty well. Walmart is sometimes just TOO busy/crowded to run into for a prescription and a few odds and ends. many people still pay for convenience and Walgreens does have decent sales if you know how to ‘play them’.

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.