Nooooooooooo! BOA dropping ShopSafe!

• Global Moderator

Just got this little nastygram from my least favorite bank:

We’re committed to providing you the most up-to-date security. As new technology has become available, we have made the decision to retire our online ShopSafe® service on September 20. You may need to update credit card information stored with online merchants.

What is changing?

We remain committed to providing the highest level of security when you transact online with your Bank of America® credit or debit card, and we’re always looking for ways to improve your digital banking experience. On September 20, we are discontinuing our online ShopSafe® service. After this date, you will no longer be able to use this service to create new ShopSafe virtual credit card numbers or make purchases online with saved ShopSafe virtual credit card numbers.

Why the change?

Technology has come a long way since we launched ShopSafe. We believe the wide range of security alerts and best-in-class fraud tools we use today, combined with the availability of digital wallets, provide our customers with an enhanced level of protection and a better user experience.

What do I need to do?

Consider using a digital wallet. Bank of America supports a number of digital wallets that enable you to securely shop online without having to share your credit card account number with merchants. More information on digital wallets.

If you have ShopSafe card numbers saved with online merchants or linked to recurring bill payments, please update with your current credit or debit card information prior to September 20.

• Global Moderator

That’s lame. Virtual card numbers are my go to for services that auto renew. Hopefully Citibank still supports them.

• Agreed. I need to follow up on the Digital Wallets to see if it may substitute. If nothing else I used it to generate a card with really low credit limits when I purchased some stuff or subscribed.

• this is a bummer

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.