Help with a car rental, please?

• Headed to “beautiful, downtown Burbank” CA (if you don’t get the reference, PM me) at the end of August. Flying into Bob Hope airport in Burbank. Anyone know of a way to find a decent deal on a car rental? Best prices are with Fox and Thrifty, and all online reviews recommend staying as far away from both of those rental agencies as possible.

– Z –

• Compare the rates at the airport with the neighborhood stores.
    A short Lyft to/from could save you mucho.

• Global Moderator

When I had to rent a car last October, the prices were exorbitant, even after any employer or other organization discounts I qualified for.

You might look into the Air B&B equivalent of car rentals (people who rent their cars to others instead of their residences). I don’t know the names of any of these sites but it may be worth searching for reviews to see if it’s a viable option/saves a lot of money.

• fyi

• @fivetalents said in Help with a car rental, please?:

When I had to rent a car last October, the prices were exorbitant, even after any employer or other organization discounts I qualified for.

You might look into the Air B&B equivalent of car rentals (people who rent their cars to others instead of their residences). I don’t know the names of any of these sites but it may be worth searching for reviews to see if it’s a viable option/saves a lot of money.

Thanks. I did look at this option and saw just enough of horror stories of cars that die or fail in some way to keep me from pursuing. I have a certain level of faith that rental car companies maintain the vehicles in drivable condition so as to not have to give refunds.

—. Z. —

• Just to update - ended up booking through Costco. I know that using a 3rd-party can be a problem, but taking the chance anyway. Best price by about $50 and I don’t have to prepay and can cancel anytime. If I keep watching the prices I may be able to get a better deal.

– Z –

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.