Tips and tricks from an eBay seller (edit: will update original post till we get a wiki)

• @louis-redfoot Thanks again, Louis. I will look into the site you mentioned. As an aside, it is important to me that it is understood that the items I have access to are all legitimately acquired goods with verifiable paper trails. Of course I understand that sellers will not generally reveal their sources, because it exclusivity protects sales channels. This is not so much an issue in my situation as my source is not seeking channels to sell the product. Again, thanks for your thoughts.

• @christmas you’re very welcome. I have read a lot of scammer tactics that’s why I prefer selling on craigslist and accept cash only. Scammers usually prey on newbie sellers thinking they can easily buy tons of items from them with prior intent to scam the seller by either saying they did not receive item or item was not as described. as previously mentioned ebay tends to side with buyers most often. I have made a lot of purchases and have only returned two because they were improperly packaged. The gold jewelry I bought that was broke when delivered, I was able to sell it at a coin show to one of the dealers participating so I can get rid of it. THEREFORE, if you’re determined to sell on ebay, make sure you protect yourself since you’re selling high ticket items you cannot just afford to take a loss.

• @ma-barker my experience as a seller shows that most people will deal honestly. by the law of large numbers, he’ll do fine. but if he wants to unload on one buyer, better be careful

• 500 Club

Does anyone have any advice on selling gift cards? Due to drug store shopping, this week I unintentionally ended up with $150 in Toys R Us $25 gift cards (plastic).
    Have no use for them. Was thinking to list them around BF.
    Am I asking for trouble selling gift cards?
    Relatively low volume-- only $6-7K/yr but have been doing it for 10+ yrs.

OAN, don’t forget about Priority Mail Regional Rate boxes. Always very happy when I can use them.

• @my4mainecoons I have no experience reselling both eGcs and the plastics but I caution you in selling them to the GC buyers online. Many of them have gone under and I’ve read it took a long time for them to pay, some have not been paid. If you travel a lot and use hotelsdotcom, they exchange other merchants GCs for their GCs, some GCs like walmart command a high price the last time I looked. There may be reliable GC buyers online but make sure to do your research before you sell to them.

• 500 Club

By “GC buyers online” you mean places like Raise? Thanks for the warning. I was considering them. They offer $18 for $25 TRU gc.
    I’ll probably go with eBay; 2 lots of $75 for $68 w/FS vs. one lot for $140 w/FS. I’ll photocopy backs of the cards showing PIN’s are covered. First Class with tracking of course.

• @my4mainecoons how about just buying something and selling the physical goods. pick a popular item, if it doesn’t sell return it.

• 500 Club

@louis-redfoot I’m open to suggestions but I don’t know what to buy. People have suggested that I buy an iPad or Nintendo DS. Not sure that’s any better than selling gc. I thought about diapers but I get diapers for resale from Rite Aid. No profit if I buy diapers from TRU vs. when I get them from RA.

• @my4mainecoons well gc, at best you break even. shop at the store for a clearance item, or haggle the manager, maybe you’ll make something. and you get a month to try. or buy something and return it to rite aid for credit

• 500 Club

I’d be buying online. Closest TRU is an hour away.

• @my4mainecoons yes, place like those and I don’t want to mention them to give them free advertisement because from what I’ve read a lot of them have not paid for the GCs they accepted from sellers. There was one popular among MSers (will tell you if you PM me) that was good at the start and then started NOT paying a lot of the sellers.

If you sell on ebay, just make sure to take pics F&B; others scratch of the back portion if there’s a scratch off portion and take a screenshot of the current balance on card at the time it was mailed to buyer after they check it online. That way, buyer can’t say it’s zero balance when they received it. Therefore, it’s best to cover your bases.

• @louis-redfoot I think this is terrible advice to buy something with intent to return even for store credit.

For those who will try this tactic at stores like Walgreens, know that when a return is made, they’ll give you a merchandise credit card (store credit), which has a lot of restrictions to use. BEWARE of those who sell Walgreens GCs online because this is the type they’re selling and you’re going to be frustrated later when you try to use it and it has so many restrictions to use it. Compared to the regular rack Walgreens GCs which does not have a lot of restrictions on what to buy, the merchandise credit is a real PITA that’s why people get rid of it and sell them online to gullible buyers.

• @ma-barker it’s just a teeny hustle to help him out of a jam. i didn’t say do it for a living

• @louis-redfoot even if it’s not done for a living, it’s not a good idea to do it because it can possibly cause a gullible person to get in trouble and get banned from a store. Like I said to those who plan to do it at Walgreens…DON’T! unless you want a problem.

• Global Moderator

There is a database called “return exchange” where every return is tracked through your DL.
    Every time you return an item they ask for your DL to check if you are a "Serial Returner"
    For example, at Staples if you have returned more than 4 items without receipt in a year, they will refuse to return an item.

• 500 Club

The Staples return w/o receipt is partially dependent on the amount of the return.
    Sometimes I’ve needed to return something paid for with Staples Visa Rebate Card.
    Since they can’t refund money to the card, SM has done a return w/o receipt and given me a Staples gc instead.
    I asked about being “blacklisted” from returning things and he told me that 1) I don’t do it that often and 2) the dollar amount of my return was too low to matter.

I would never buy something at one store to return to a different company.

I buy things with the intent of returning when I’m “moving stock”. For drug store deal I might need to purchase 6 widgets at once but there are only 2 are in each store.
    I’ll buy 2 at 2 different stores, paying full price (no rewards card) and charge to cc.
    Then go to store #3, return the 4 from other stores and buy all 6 together to earn whatever I’m trying to earn.

• 500 Club

@ma-barker I took your advice very seriously and opted to sell my TRU gc on the Bay.
    Had 6 $25 gc. Listed 2 sets of 3 ($75 ea) for $66 ea. Most listings gave 10% discount, ie $22.50 for $25 gc. It was worth $1.50 to ship 3 at once vs. 3 separately, ie $66 vs. $67.50

I copied a listing where seller posted “gift cards will be shipped 2 business days after payment to avoid fraudulent charges”.
    I photographed the back sides of the cards showing silver on the PINS had not been removed.
    I photocopied receipts showing cards had been activated and enclosed copy w/ the cards.

I created shipping label immediately so qualified for TRS discount, but chose mailing date 2 days later. I offered refund if cards were returned with PIN’s still hidden and funds present.

I also really lucked out. One buyer bought both sets a few hours after I listed.
    I checked him out. He had >3000 positive feedback. He’d bought a lot of TRU gc from other sellers and they’d all left him positive FB. He sells high priced Lego sets.

Raise was offering $18 for $25 gc plus I would have paid to ship cards to an online seller.
    After shipping, fees and 10% TRS discount I made $18.75/card but I have the money and +FB.

• ****I took your advice very seriously and opted to sell my TRU gc on the Bay.
    Had 6 $25 gc. Listed 2 sets of 3 ($75 ea) for $66 ea. Most listings gave 10% discount, ie $22.50 for $25 gc. It was worth $1.50 to ship 3 at once vs. 3 separately, ie $66 vs. $67.50

I copied a listing where seller posted “gift cards will be shipped 2 business days after payment to avoid fraudulent charges”.
    I photographed the back sides of the cards showing silver on the PINS had not been removed.
    I photocopied receipts showing cards had been activated and enclosed copy w/ the cards.

I created shipping label immediately so qualified for TRS discount, but chose mailing date 2 days later. I offered refund if cards were returned with PIN’s still hidden and funds present.

I also really lucked out. One buyer bought both sets a few hours after I listed.
    I checked him out. He had >3000 positive feedback. He’d bought a lot of TRU gc from other sellers and they’d all left him positive FB. He sells high priced Lego sets.

Raise was offering $18 for $25 gc plus I would have paid to ship cards to an online seller.
    After shipping, fees and 10% TRS discount I made $18.75/card but I have the money and +FB.

@my4mainecoons … no refunds. scammers have machines that put that silver strip on the back. so somebody might get the cards info. return them … wait for it to sell to somebody else … drain the card.
    Better safe than sorry

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.