Office Depot to Focus on Business Customers: Will Close Many Retail Stores & Lay Off 13 Thousand Workers by 2023

• Global Moderator

"U.S. office supply retailer Office Depot said on Thursday it plans to cut about 13,100 jobs and close certain retail stores by the end of 2023, in a bid to curb costs and focus on its IT services business units.

The company expects the restructuring to yield up to $860 million in net savings by 2023 end and incur charges of up to $543 million.

Office Depot said the charges include costs related to potential retail store and distribution facility closures and headcount reductions.

The company said it is still evaluating the number of potential store closures.

Earlier this month, the retailer withdrew its 2020 guidance, citing global business disruption and uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/15/office-depot-plans-store-closures-13100-job-cuts-by-2023.html

• administrators

All the ones around here have been closed for a while. Closest one if a 30-minute drive for me.

• Bad news for me. I bought too many empty cartridges from ebay. If OD closes the local store then no more ink recycling. 😞

• Global Moderator

wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear this, Office Depot has really been great the last few years, filled a lot of the void of Staples’ hey day.

@niniss I’ve always made it a point to never buy more than 6-8 months ink supply at a time, slowly but surely, the ink recycle party has been dwindling. Limits per month have been dropping over the last 5 years, then Staples added the $30 per 6 month ink spend kicker too.

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.