Sizzler USA files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

• Even the “essential businesses” (except for Sizzler’s serve-yourself buffet section, that was straight-up outlawed in California) such as casual dining and steakhouses are dying.

Sizzler has had a declining number of locations, and many would say a declining value in the amount of steak you get per dollar, for quite some time now. It hasn’t really been popular since the 70’s and 80’s, but it had its loyal customer base.

But its time has now come. Sizzler USA (parent company) had 14 corporate-owned restaurants and 93 franchised restaurants, though franchises will probably be less affected by the filing than the corporate restaurants.

https://la.eater.com/2020/9/21/21449782/sizzler-bankruptcy-los-angeles-culver-city-chain-steak-coronavirus-covid-19-closing-news

• Global Moderator

@ctujackbauer said in Sizzler USA files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy:

Even the “essential businesses” (except for Sizzler’s serve-yourself buffet section, that was straight-up outlawed in California) such as casual dining and steakhouses are dying.

Sizzler has had a declining number of locations, and many would say a declining value in the amount of steak you get per dollar, for quite some time now. It hasn’t really been popular since the 70’s and 80’s, but it had its loyal customer base.

But its time has now come. Sizzler USA (parent company) had 14 corporate-owned restaurants and 93 franchised restaurants, though franchises will probably be less affected by the filing than the corporate restaurants.

https://la.eater.com/2020/9/21/21449782/sizzler-bankruptcy-los-angeles-culver-city-chain-steak-coronavirus-covid-19-closing-news

Yes, they used to be all over the US in the 80’s and early 90’s, now mainly in CA. I also wonder how Golden Corral is going to survive given their operation was very dependent on the huge buffet aspect of it. And Ruby Tuesday with no salad bar?

• @mistercheap

I can only speak for the CA locations of Golden Corral, but they have server(s) getting your food at the stations. Which takes out quite a bit of the joy. There were a couple of big Las Vegas buffets that tried this, Wynn Buffet most notably, but they shut down the Wynn Buffet after a couple of months saying it wasn’t practical with servers and social distanced eating spaces.

• Global Moderator

@ctujackbauer said in Sizzler USA files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy:

@mistercheap

I can only speak for the CA locations of Golden Corral, but they have server(s) getting your food at the stations. Which takes out quite a bit of the joy. There were a couple of big Las Vegas buffets that tried this, Wynn Buffet most notably, but they shut down the Wynn Buffet after a couple of months saying it wasn’t practical with servers and social distanced eating spaces.

Yes, the Golden Corral we used to go to pre-pandemic has gone to that policy too. Takes a lot of joy out of it, and exactly how much you want of a given item varies as you move along a buffet line. Plus I’d typically carry two plates, one with the salad type items or vegetables and other with the entree(s) type foods.

I am totally bummed about the likely death of Chinese Buffets as a result of Covid. A good Chinese buffet was my favorite way to eat Chinese Food. It truly sucks.

• Global Moderator

I’m sure buffets will be back once people get vaccinated and Covid19 fades. Why would it be the end of buffets? (unless the buffets go out of business before Covid19 is contained) I also really like Chinese buffets, but I think given time they will be back.

• Global Moderator

@mrvietnam said in Sizzler USA files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy:

I’m sure buffets will be back once people get vaccinated and Covid19 fades. Why would it be the end of buffets? (unless the buffets go out of business before Covid19 is contained) I also really like Chinese buffets, but I think given time they will be back.

It will be 2 years at the least Mr. V. It’s going to take a long time to get this truly under control.

• Global Moderator

@mistercheap said in Sizzler USA files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy:

@mrvietnam said in Sizzler USA files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy:

It will be 2 years at the least Mr. V. It’s going to take a long time to get this truly under control.

We’ll see how long it takes. I don’t think anyone really knows right now. I know it will take a while to get everyone vaccinated and probably a certain percentage of people will choose not to vaccinate.

• @mrvietnam

Mr. V, read this article from the OC Register about all of the things they banned in California so far, even if temporarily:

Teppanyaki, shabu-shabu, Korean BBQ (self-serve), buffets, things from carts like dim-sum, things prepared table-side like fresh guacamole, things from conveyor belts like conveyor belt sushi, Mongolian barbecue, fondue restaurants, Brazilian churrascaria.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/05/16/californias-new-coronavirus-dine-in-guidelines-spell-big-shifts-for-some-restaurants/

• Global Moderator

I hear you. I live in Orange County, too. I guess I am an optimist, but I think one day the virus will go away and life will go on as normal. It’s just no one knows exactly when that will be. The sooner the better though. I know I for one plan to get vaccinated the soonest I can. Maybe I will be in the front of the line since I am classified as an essential worker.

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.