Free Home 'Burglar Deterrent' Security - Amazon Echo Owners

• This free Amazon Echo skill will protect your home by providing some free additional security. It turns your Echo into a device to protect your home from burglars by using realistic audio to give a convincing impression someone is home. There are 5 different environments (or rooms) to choose from depending on which suits the location of your Echo.

Just say "Alexa, open Burglar Deterrent"
    Details

• I’d hate to hear the realistic bathroom protection sounds…add realistic protection smells & they might have a deterrent.

• administrators

This is genius. Amazon said something about paying the app developers who’s apps are used the most. Can’t beat having something on all the time.

• Global Moderator

Description
    Burglar Deterrent is designed to help protect your home from unwanted visitors when you are out. It will give the illusion that your house is occupied using realistic audio to deter potential intruders. A would-be thief will be convinced someone is performing daily activities such as cleaning, talking, laughing, working in the home office and preparing food. This will compliment your existing security arrangements, giving you an extra level of reassurance.

Choose the environment that suits the location of your Echo device:

• Living room (Sitting Room, Lounge, Den, or any general room)
    • Kitchen (Dining Area)
    • Bathroom (Washroom, Shower)
    • Home Office (Study)
    • Barking Dog (guard dog)

HOW TO USE

When you open Burglar Deterrent you will be prompted to select an environment, or to save time you can simulate it directly by saying:
    “Alexa, ask Burglar Deterrent to protect the kitchen.” (or another environment)

The audio will continuously play until you say “Alexa, stop”.

If you wish the audio to play for a specified duration, once the sound is already playing just say:
    “Alexa, set a sleep timer for (however long you wish)”

WHAT CAN I SAY?

Here are some example phrases you can say to jump straight into the audio environments:
    “Alexa, ask Burglar Deterrent to protect the bathroom”
    “Alexa, tell Burglar Deterrent to simulate the home office”
    “Alexa, ask Burglar Deterrent to sound like the dining area”
    “Alexa, open Burglar Deterrent and protect the living room”
    “Alexa, ask Burglar Deterrent for a barking dog”
    “Alexa, start over” to list rooms available

If you find Burglar Deterrent useful please consider leaving a 5 star review in the Alexa app, this helps support this skill and spreads the word. Thank you!

• Global Moderator

Some people who have reviewed this app gave it positive marks for realistic sounds, but others said it turns off automatically after several minutes making the app useless. I think I will test it out when I have time and see how long it continuously stays on for me. I like the idea of it. Very clever use of Alexa. I use both Alexa and Google Home and I am very happy with both.

• Global Moderator

It would be more useful if you could set it up to turn on and stay active for x-number of minutes after a motion sensor(s) is tripped. Seems a waste of electricity to having it run all day and if it really can’t stay on all day it’s better to only turn it on when someone’s actually outside of your home.

• administrators

@fivetalents said in Free Home 'Burglar Deterrent' Security - Amazon Echo Owners:

It would be more useful if you could set it up to turn on and stay active for x-number of minutes after a motion sensor(s) is tripped. Seems a waste of electricity to having it run all day and if it really can’t stay on all day it’s better to only turn it on when someone’s actually outside of your home.

Not something that alexa supports…

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.