Staples ink rewards redeemable in-store only starting 7/11/19

• Saw this online…

Jeremy S. (Staples Rep)
    We’ve made some changes to our Staples Rewards® program.

Starting July 11th 2019, all ink recycling rewards will be redeemable in-store only. This change will be delayed for our Premier Rewards member with an effective date of August 9th 2019.

Staples plus customers will still be able to redeem their ink recycling rewards both in-store and online.

You will continue to receive $2 in ink recycling rewards in a separate monthly statement when you spend at least $30 or more on ink and toner within 6 months prior to your recycling date.

If an item you wish to buy is not available at your nearest store, you can place an Order in-store using our dedicated kiosk and choose the option to pay at the register.

• 500 Club

I tend to use them Instore because you can’t get a balance coupon on line but they’re sure making it more difficult for folks.
    Why didn’t we get an email about this?

• 500 Club

This started with the 5/9/2019 rewards email, but I have not seen it being enforced:

“Rewards may be redeemed at any Staples store, online at staples.com® with a minimum purchase of $100 or more (prior to the application of rewards)”

• Global Moderator

@c3 said in Staples ink rewards redeemable in-store only starting 7/11/19:

This started with the 5/9/2019 rewards email, but I have not seen it being enforced:

“Rewards may be redeemed at any Staples store, online at staples.com® with a minimum purchase of $100 or more (prior to the application of rewards)”

huh? missed that, but just bought stuff the other day and it wasn’t enforced. if they do go this route and don’t let you bank the rewards more than 45 days, I’m done with it.

If they went back to a six month expiration, I could deal with spending $100 and cashing out $100 at a time.

• Global Moderator

Does anyone know if the $30 or more ink/toner purchase every six months to qualify for ink rewards can be done by paying with a Staples gift card? I have some left over gift cards I would rather use up than using new money.

Also, I don’t need new toner now but I will buy it to qualify for six more months of ink rewards. Can unopened toner be stored for 6-9 months without harming its quality?

• 500 Club

@mrvietnam said in Staples ink rewards redeemable in-store only starting 7/11/19:

Does anyone know if the $30 or more ink/toner purchase every six months to qualify for ink rewards can be done by paying with a Staples gift card?

of course

@mrvietnam said in Staples ink rewards redeemable in-store only starting 7/11/19:

Can unopened toner be stored for 6-9 months without harming its quality?

I have been using the same toner cartridge for the past 2-3 years.

• Global Moderator

Does anyone know if the $30 or more ink/toner purchase every six months to qualify for ink rewards can be done by paying with a Staples gift card? I have some left over gift cards I would rather use up than using new money.

Also, I don’t need new toner now but I will buy it to qualify for six more months of ink rewards. Can unopened toner be stored for 6-9 months without harming its quality?

Found an answer on Google to my question about how long an unopened toner cartridge will last:

Over time, air can get inside the box and antistatic bag in which manufacturers package cartridges, and degrade the ink or toner’s composition. Nevertheless, you can usually still use cartridges from unopened packaging up to about two years after purchase if you store them properly.

• Global Moderator

Is the Staples website accurate? I bought over $30 of toner on 7/26/19 and then on 7/29/19 I recycled 20 ink cartridges and on 8/1/19 I recycled another 20 ink cartridges, but on the website, now a week later after my initial recycling, does not show I recycled any empties. Is that normal? I luckily kept all my receipts.

• 500 Club

@mrvietnam Look at the purchase details. The recycle section is not reliable.

• Global Moderator

@c3 said in Staples ink rewards redeemable in-store only starting 7/11/19:

@mrvietnam Look at the purchase details. The recycle section is not reliable.

Thanks. Sure enough when I went to the purchase details section I saw my $40 in rewards earned for July and the August recycling was not yet posted.

• 500 Club

The day has come. As a premier member, my rewards coupon no longer works online.

• I was able to use my ink rewards on an online order today. Dunno.

• 500 Club

@harperr said in Staples ink rewards redeemable in-store only starting 7/11/19:

I was able to use my ink rewards on an online order today. Dunno.

Are you Premier or do you have Plus? Did you use more than $100 worth of Rewards?

• 500 Club

A post on SD seems to suggest that the reward is now deducted before determining the purchase requirement for a coupon. For example, $70 purchase - $40 reward = $30, so a $30 off $60 coupon cannot be used. I cannot test if this true because my reward coupon no longer works online.

• @my4mainecoons I am Premier and I used less than $100 in Rewards.

• 500 Club

@c3 last week I got $35 item, 2 @$9.99 and $200 visa gc. Used a $15/$50 and $40 Rewards. Received a balance coupon. Maybe the person on SD handed over their Rewards first?

• 500 Club

@my4mainecoons said in Staples ink rewards redeemable in-store only starting 7/11/19:

Maybe the person on SD handed over their Rewards first?

It was an online transaction, and the $40 reward was applied before the coupon. I don’t know if the order makes any difference for online transaction.

• I just joined Staples Plus to see if I could use Staples Rewards on an online order. No go for me. This is the message I get:
    “Coupon couldn’t be redeemed:The entered coupon doesn’t exist. Please double-check or reenter to make sure the coupon code is typed correctly.”

Anyone have luck using them on a kiosk order? These changes are a BIG devaluation for me. 😞

• 500 Club

@harperr said in Staples ink rewards redeemable in-store only starting 7/11/19:

I just joined Staples Plus to see if I could use Staples Rewards on an online order. No go for me. This is the message I get:
    “Coupon couldn’t be redeemed:The entered coupon doesn’t exist. Please double-check or reenter to make sure the coupon code is typed correctly.”

Anyone have luck using them on a kiosk order? These changes are a BIG devaluation for me. 😞

I think only new rewards issued after you joined Staples Plus can be used online. No problem with kiosk order if you pay in the store.

• Oh my, I was caught off guard by this yesterday, my rewards would not work online so I thought the site was down or my coupon was hacked.

I called customer service today and they confirmed that only PLUS members can redeem rewards online and Basic and Premier must go to the store. This doesn’t make sense so not sure if Staples is trying to drive business away.

Since the rewards expire 9/30/19, I went to the store today and bought something with the online kiosk. This is what I got:

2x Bounty Enormous Rolls for $31.59 each. Total was $63.18 which is just enough to use the $15 off $60 coupon (57190). Brought it down to $48.18 and I tried to enter my rewards in the kiosk and got the same error message that it doesn’t exist. I finalized the order and brought to cashier (make sure you change default payment to pay at register).

Gave cashier the kiosk receipt and my rewards. It took off $40 and I breathe a sigh of relief. Total was $8.81 and I paid by credit card.

So this is proof the $100 minimum logic is not built into the kiosk/store order. Perhaps only for the PLUS members online? Good Luck, cash those rewards out.

• 500 Club

@daytrader said in Staples ink rewards redeemable in-store only starting 7/11/19:

not sure if Staples is trying to drive business away.

Drive business to the store, and get people to pay for the Plus membership.

So this is proof the $100 minimum logic is not built into the kiosk/store order.

That $100 minimum has not been implemented anywhere, but they can do that at anytime.

• Just hit this also. I didn’t realize this was changed. They didn’t even send an email about this.

Staples needs to learn a thing about customer service.

• 500 Club

This restriction has been removed.

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.