Firefox Quantum 57.0 anyone tried it yet?

• 500 Club

Just got notice that the new FF Quantum is available and was wondering if anyone has tried it yet and their thoughts on it.

I usually wait to update FF so they can get the kinks out but if it lives up to the hype I may just jump on it earlier than usual.

• @vegasvegan said:
    “but if it lives up to the hype I may just jump on it earlier than usual.”

but if frogs had wings … “:-)”

• I might be an anomaly, but since it updated a few hours ago, it has do nothing but freeze and crash. Almost half of the time I try to open up a new tab, it freezes and I have to close and try again. When it does that, it won’t open the tabs back on restart because it doesn’t think it crashed. I have ublock origin as the only working add on, but haven’t tried to disable that to see if that is the issue.

• Sounds like it’s living up to the hype … to me. Of course, I’m in marketing. “:-)”

• 500 Club

@briarycliffs said in Firefox Quantum 57.0 anyone tried it yet?:

I might be an anomaly, but since it updated a few hours ago, it has do nothing but freeze and crash. Almost half of the time I try to open up a new tab, it freezes and I have to close and try again. When it does that, it won’t open the tabs back on restart because it doesn’t think it crashed. I have ublock origin as the only working add on, but haven’t tried to disable that to see if that is the issue.

That’s another thing I was wondering about. I wonder how many add ons are going to be incompatible and for how long. I assume some may just disappear.

• 500 Club

@honkinggoose said in Firefox Quantum 57.0 anyone tried it yet?:

@vegasvegan said:
    “but if it lives up to the hype I may just jump on it earlier than usual.”

but if frogs had wings … “:-)”

If frogs had wings I’d assume I was near Three Mile Island, Chernobyl or maybe whats left of that mountain in North Korea. Though Firefox Quantum would be a good code name for a nuclear disaster.

Seriously though I’m not so much worried about the speeds they are claiming I want the bloat to go away.

• I’ve been a Firefox user since v. 1.0, but the last few years have been a bit much. From updating without my permission to breaking addons that work safely, I may just go back to lynx. While I’m at it, DOS 3.3 sounds good, too. “:-)”

• I lost Flash Blocker and norton something, retained ublock origin and sticky password. Still freezes up this morning. I will say it loads pages faster, when it loads.

• 1000 Club

@vegasvegan said in Firefox Quantum 57.0 anyone tried it yet?:

@briarycliffs said in Firefox Quantum 57.0 anyone tried it yet?:

I might be an anomaly, but since it updated a few hours ago, it has do nothing but freeze and crash. Almost half of the time I try to open up a new tab, it freezes and I have to close and try again. When it does that, it won’t open the tabs back on restart because it doesn’t think it crashed. I have ublock origin as the only working add on, but haven’t tried to disable that to see if that is the issue.

That’s another thing I was wondering about. I wonder how many add ons are going to be incompatible and for how long. I assume some may just disappear.

yes some were, also I hate how they disabled access to plugins

• Like any other change, it’s got its plusses and minuses. I like the update, but it definitely takes a while to get used the the add-ons that you used to use that are no longer compatible. Takes even longer to find new substitutes.

And gestures are no longer available in ‘Firefox’ pages for some reason or another. That’s probably the biggest gripe I have. Other than that, I’m moving forward with it. Have it installed on three machines so far…

• I was mostly a Chrome user, though on windows 10, i was kind of getting use to using Edge, which actually isn’t bad…I tried it about a week ago and took it off the same day…Then i thought about it for a day or two and decided that i should give it another chance…After a few days, i was really enjoying it and decided to make it my default browser! (with Edge as the back up and removed Chrome)…
    In the past i didn’t care for firefox but the new interface looks great, it is easy to use and fast as lightening on the speed…I also like the way it renders fonts and graphics and plays you tube videos beautifully, so i am sticking with it…

Only thing is i am finding it is consuming more memory the either Google Chrome or Edge…Anyone else have that problem with Firefox Quantum?

I did some searching online and i noticed that many others have reported it too…so hopefully, it will eventually get fixed…I’d say it is averaging about 700-800 mb more than Chrome on usage, which seems to build up as the hours go by while it is open…

Other than that, i am looking forward to the improvements as they come along…It’s like a whole different Firefox!

• I did find the fix for mine, apparently many others are having the same problem. It has something to do with the cache settings this box - Override automatic cache management- needs to be unchecked. Now it runs pretty smoothly.

• I looked in the settings, seems that box was unchecked by default on mine…I am going to try checking it to see if it makes any difference in a positive way…I’ll report back after i observe it for a day or so…

• @craig10x said in Firefox Quantum 57.0 anyone tried it yet?:

I looked in the settings, seems that box was unchecked by default on mine…I am going to try checking it to see if it makes any difference in a positive way…I’ll report back after i observe it for a day or so…

My bad, this was the actual fix for mine:

thanks for reporting this. can you try if this change can workaround the performance problem?: go to the firefox menu ≡ > options > privacy & security panel and under permissions check the setting to prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser.

• @briarycliffs said in Firefox Quantum 57.0 anyone tried it yet?:

@craig10x said in Firefox Quantum 57.0 anyone tried it yet?:

I looked in the settings, seems that box was unchecked by default on mine…I am going to try checking it to see if it makes any difference in a positive way…I’ll report back after i observe it for a day or so…

My bad, this was the actual fix for mine:

thanks for reporting this. can you try if this change can workaround the performance problem?: go to the firefox menu ≡ > options > privacy & security panel and under permissions check the setting to prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser.

Thanks for following up! I re-checked the Override automatic cache management to set it back to the way it was at default…

Then i checked the setting to prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser, as you suggested…So far, looking a LOT better but i will have to monitor it for the rest of the day…by tomorrow i should know for sure…Will definitely report back!

• Firefox Quantum works fine

• Based on what i observed (with the box checked or unchecked) the difference wasn’t that much for me, so i guess it doesn’t quite solve the problem, but of course, i really appreciated your input!
    Hopefully, as the newer versions comes down with improvements, it will get better…I noticed that many others also mentioned about having the problem, so i guess Mozilla must be aware of it…For me, it’s roughly averaging about an extra 500 mb than Google Chrome was for me…Increasing more as the hours go by that i am on it…I’d say Edge Browser was the lightest on memory…

However, Firefox Quantum 57 is FAST, I love the new look and the font and graphics rendering and videos are excellent…so i am staying with it and my default browser! Never thought i’d be switching to Firefox but this is like a whole different browser…

• I tried a few more times, with the box first unchecked and then checked…i’d say it helps prevent it going into wild swings up but i am still using more ram then in Chrome even when it is checked…So, i will leave it checked but am hoping it will improve as Firefox Quantum gets updated…

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.