SHELL FUEL REWARDS

• There is a grocery chain near me that gives gas points whenever you purchase Visa or master card gift cards. All the time. Also Stop and Shop does this when advertised. I was intrigued by the Fuel rewards program hanging on the shelf, as it states you have to link a credit card to the program, so I never tried. But I did sign up 2 weeks ago and card arrived. So I gave it a shot with a 25.00 Shell gift card I had from the grocery store. (they convert your points into a Shell Gift Card when you have enough to redeem, so for me the 25.00 card is free. I went across the street to Shell and followed the directions which were very simple. Then inserted the gift card and thought for sure the pump would lock up…BUT it took off another 12 cents per gallon. And this works with Stop and Shop loyalty cards too. granted you wont get rich, but if you manufacture spend, this is a great deal. And you get the cash price. The price for reg (cash) was 2.98. it dropped to 2.86 w/o doing much. So you insert 2 cards (fuel rewards and Gift card)

• btw, I spoke to the attendant and he told me his boss decides how much to discount the gas. So you can go to different stations. BUT if you are using any credit card at shell, the FR card will save you $. recommend using a discounted Shell gift card to get cash price. You can buy Shell cards for discount in many places. Hope this helps someone.

• if you have a points earning credit card at groceries (Blue cash Preferred or Blue cash everyday from Amex) you can get 6% or 3% off the Shell gas gift cards at Stop and Shop)

• administrators

Really only useful when you get a discount from t-mobile Tues, but I guess every little bit helps.

• @barrytuneup Not to be picky, but you never really get 6% off - once you factor in the cost of the annual fee it is around 4.75%.

• @barrytuneup said in SHELL FUEL REWARDS:

You can buy Shell cards for discount in many places.

Where are discounted Shell cards available? I generally get them by redeeming my Discover cashback bonus at the rate of $70 for a $75 card, which is a 6.67% discount. I only remember getting them from RiteAid once with a $5 discount for a $25 card (after Plenti Points).

You mention Stop & Shop. You can earn a .10/gal discount for every $100 you spend on “eligible” purchases. Not sure if the Shell GC themselves are eligible, but that would be an opportunity to earn 5% cashback on Chase Freedom or Discover for the grocery category through 6/30.

Fuel Rewards members always get a minimum discount of .03/gal, but can be higher if you have Gold Status (.05/gal). I have my IHG membership linked so I always get at least .06/gal.

• Publix grocery stores (mostly FL) frequently (1-3x/month) have coupons that if you spend $50 on groceries you can buy a $50 gas card for $40. I use them with my Shell Fuel Rewards (linking to a credit card is not required for the FR program). You don’t even have to carry the card with you, just enter your “alt ID” (phone #). It is always at least 5 cents/gal. off, more during a special promotion.

• 1000 Club

B.T.W.
    Winn Dixie will be going back to shell rewards.

• @somanycats that’s correct. use the Shell FR card first, then insert the Shell gift card.

• @bbsearchlight right you get 4.75% off of the Shell card at Stopans Shop/Acme/shoprite etc. with the preferred card. So spend 6k/year (easy if manufactured spending) and get 360.00 back -the 95.00 fee. Or spend 6k/year on the no fee blue cash everyday and get 3% in groceries. 180.00 cash back. You can have both cards

• Very interesting.

• @wmnetid said in SHELL FUEL REWARDS:

You mention Stop & Shop. You can earn a .10/gal discount for every $100 you spend on “eligible” purchases. Not sure if the Shell GC themselves are eligible, but that would be an opportunity to earn 5% cashback on Chase Freedom or Discover for the grocery category through 6/30.

Bought a $25 Shell Gas card from S&S today and it is not an eligible purchase. Receipt shows: Points this visit 0.

• administrators

Shell fuel rewards is such a scam. Was going to use my $0.28/gal rewards last week, realized gas was $3 at most of the local shells, while it was $2.71 @ BP. So looks like when t-mobile gives out the shell reward, they just raise their prices accordingly.

• 1000 Club

@dangeruss said in SHELL FUEL REWARDS:

Shell fuel rewards is such a scam. Was going to use my $0.28/gal rewards last week, realized gas was $3 at most of the local shells, while it was $2.71 @ BP. So looks like when t-mobile gives out the shell reward, they just raise their prices accordingly.

yeah it only benefits elites who are too good to use anything but shell already.

• 500 Club

I use Shell a lot because their gift cards are an easy way to cash out Bonus Cash from Rite Aid. Back in the day I used to buy Shell gc paying with BB gc at BB. “Bought” the BB gc using Plenti/BC at RA. I’m signed up for Rewards so I get $0.05/gallon all the time which makes their prices competitive. Even if they’re not the cheapest, since I didn’t pay anything for the gc its still free.

• @frugalfreak Um…No. If you have access to FRN and grocery store gas points - and you’re STILL paying for gas - then you get what you deserve.

• 1000 Club

@kenblakely said in SHELL FUEL REWARDS:

@frugalfreak Um…No. If you have access to FRN and grocery store gas points - and you’re STILL paying for gas - then you get what you deserve.

well in my area Shell is a good 10 cents higher so by time you use points, paying same price as normal, and they are out of the way, you’ll burn more getting to them.

• @my4mainecoons said in SHELL FUEL REWARDS:

I use Shell a lot because their gift cards are an easy way to cash out Bonus Cash from Rite Aid. Back in the day I used to buy Shell gc paying with BB gc at BB. “Bought” the BB gc using Plenti/BC at RA. I’m signed up for Rewards so I get $0.05/gallon all the time which makes their prices competitive. Even if they’re not the cheapest, since I didn’t pay anything for the gc its still free.

this is correct. But if using an Amex BCash preferred or Blue cash everyday, you still save 6%/3% on Shell cards in grocery store.

• @barrytuneup and in Danbury CT/ NYState Shell is only 3 or 4 cents higher then others. Dont know where poster who stated BP is 2.71 and Shell is 3.00. Poster should state where he is . I doubt the prices are correct.

• 500 Club

@barrytuneup said in SHELL FUEL REWARDS:

@my4mainecoons said in SHELL FUEL REWARDS:

this is correct. But if using an Amex BCash preferred or Blue cash everyday, you still save 6%/3% on Shell cards in grocery store.

Sure but 100% savings > 6%. 🙂

• @barrytuneup I think a lot depends on area. I’m in MD, and all the Shells I pass by are significantly higher than others around them. Near where I work, right now the Shell is $2.79 and about a block down the street it’s $2.65. And I don’t understand who ever goes to the Shell near where I live. Right now it’s $3.09. The slightly further alternatives are $2.89. Prices by GasBuddy.

I tried to go to Shell recently on a Thursday (5 cent discount) with my T-Mobile 25 cent credit, mainly to try and use up my Shell gift card I’ve had for years. Unfortunately the rewards didn’t work, so I gave up and went down the street. Paid about 10 cents more than with all the discounts.

• administrators

@barrytuneup said in SHELL FUEL REWARDS:

@barrytuneup and in Danbury CT/ NYState Shell is only 3 or 4 cents higher then others. Dont know where poster who stated BP is 2.71 and Shell is 3.00. Poster should state where he is . I doubt the prices are correct.

NJ

• thanks. Prices this am have dropped. Shell is 2.95 and another .5 cents with the fuel rewards. The other independents…Global and Orbit in Ct and valero in Ny are about 2.88.

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.