No sound on my PC

• Today, all of a sudden, I found I have no sounds on my PC – system sounds; Hulu, etc.

The lights on the speakers are on; and I didn’t touch the plug into my audio port on my PC.

Would could be the problem?

Thanks.

• 500 Club

@Phat200 Maybe you hit a combination of keys or a function key to turn it off. My favorite Tech Support is Google.

• Global Moderator

Try firmly pushing the plug in anyway… they can work themselves loose over time.

Also try:

• Checking your computer’s volume setting to make sure it wasn’t put on mute or turned down
    • Unplugging the external speakers to make sure your computer’s built in speakers are working
    • Turning the volume up on the external speakers (you or someone else may have turned them down/off)
    • Inspecting the external speakers ’ wires for damage (vermin, pets, wear & tear, decomposition, etc.)
    • Try plugging in a different set of speakers or connecting a Bluetooth speaker to see if the external speakers are the problem
    • If all also fails, google the brand and model numbers of the external speakers to see if there is a known issue/fix

• Presuming Windows 10 (but others may work the same, it’s been too long for me to recall), right-click on the speaker icon in the taskbar. Generally, the lower right corner of the screen. Select “Open Sound Settings” and see what it shows for “Output device”. If it doesn’t indicate something like speakers or what looks appropriate, select the drop-down box and look for something else. While there look at the Master Volume to make sure it’s turned up and not muted.

• It probably doesn’t help you, but when my dog gets scared, she runs under my desk and the only cord that gets pulled out is the speaker cord. Happens frequently to me.

• Thanks for all the responses.

My speaker is not on mute; and all the connections are fine.

When I power on my PC today, there is the usual Windows sound on launch. So the sound port/card is working fine also. However, after launch, there is no more sound of any kind – system sound, hulu, etc. I double check the speaker/volume icon in the system tray; and it is not mute.

I am on Windows 7 Pro.

TIA

• 500 Club

@phat200
    Did you try disabling then re-enabling your audio driver?

• @my4mainecoons said in No sound on my PC:

@phat200
    Did you try disabling then re-enabling your audio driver?

Following your suggestion, I did that. The problem remains.

I also uninstall the driver; restart the PC; and the OS reinstall the driver. Still have no sound.

• @phat200 Maybe the system sounds are set to “No Sounds” in your Windows Sound Scheme? Here’s how to see what’s currently set and how to change the sound scheme:

[link text]https://winsounds.com/how-to-change-windows-sounds/(link url)

– Z –

• @zerenia said in No sound on my PC:

@phat200 Maybe the system sounds are set to “No Sounds” in your Windows Sound Scheme? Here’s how to see what’s currently set and how to change the sound scheme:

[link text]https://winsounds.com/how-to-change-windows-sounds/(link url)

– Z –

There is no sound when I tested it. As I mentioned, the PC produce a sound when it was powered on and the Windows is launched. AFTER that, the sound is totally gone – e.g. no video sound, no program error sounds, etc.

The fact that the PC made a sound initially would indicate the relevant hardware/wires/etc are all good. It seems that something happens during the Startup to turn off ALL the sounds WITHOUT changing the system settings. e.g. I have set the OS to beep when I toggle on/off the CapsLock. It stopped making sound; and I thought somehow I turn it off. So I check that setting and that checkbox is still checked. The same thing with the Windows Sound. They are still associated with sounds; but no sound when I click the Test button.

What could turn off the sound on a global basis irregardless of the system settings???

TIA.

• Global Moderator

I sometimes, but not often, mysteriously lose the sound on my PC, too. I am running Windows 10. I just turn off the computer and then turn it back on again and the sound works fine. Not sure what is happening, but as long as I know a way to fix it all’s good.

• I’d say if sound plays during initial boot then you have no real hardware issues. That is, cords plugged in and speakers actually work. I’d right-click on the start button and look at Device Manager to see if Windows has an issue with any drivers, etc. shown generally with an exclamation point. You could also expand the Sound device(s) and see what Windows thinks is correct just in case.

• @phat200 You could try booting in Safe Mode and checking the Sound Settings again, that is, run the tests in the Sound Settings. If you get sound, then a program running when you start up is grabbing your sound settings.

Do you remember the last time you had sound? If so, you could try to restore a Restore Point just prior to the time when you lost sound, if your restore points go back that far.

• I have a really good guess if this was 15 yrs ago.
    It’s not 15 yrs ago though.
    Anyways if it was 15 yrs ago I’d guess it was iTunes or an improper uninstall of iTunes.

• 1000 Club

@phat200 said in No sound on my PC:

Today, all of a sudden, I found I have no sounds on my PC – system sounds; Hulu, etc.

The lights on the speakers are on; and I didn’t touch the plug into my audio port on my PC.

Thanks.

I don’t have a clue, but a google search found
    someone with what appears to be same
    problem and a working solution.
    search criteria:
    "Can only hear system sounds Windows 7"
    Result:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-only-hear-system-sounds/9252c8d6-56d6-499d-9d5a-53fc2149c913
    Good Luck
    Sorry, here’s my initial search with multiple returns:
    https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&client=firefox-b&biw=1173&bih=440&sxsrf=ALeKk00kxqf9bnyemek9SeoArKnYdAHhNQ%3A1589212344647&ei=uHS5XvT3JsPysQXDpZ6wDA&q=Can+only+hear+system+sounds+Windows+7&oq=Can+only+hear+system+sounds+Windows+7&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIECAAQRzIECAAQRzIECAAQRzIECAAQRzIECAAQRzIECAAQRzIECAAQRzIECAAQR1AAWABg3tc7aABwAngAgAEAiAEAkgEAmAEAqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj0s5mqlazpAhVDeawKHcOSB8YQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

• @rick505 said in No sound on my PC:

I’d say if sound plays during initial boot then you have no real hardware issues. That is, cords plugged in and speakers actually work. I’d right-click on the start button and look at Device Manager to see if Windows has an issue with any drivers, etc. shown generally with an exclamation point. You could also expand the Sound device(s) and see what Windows thinks is correct just in case.

There is no problem under Device Manager. What do you mean by “expand the Sound device(s) and see what Windows think is correct”?

@phat200 You could try booting in Safe Mode and checking the Sound Settings again, that is, run the tests in the Sound Settings. If you get sound, then a program running when you start up is grabbing your sound settings.

Do you remember the last time you had sound? If so, you could try to restore a Restore Point just prior to the time when you lost sound, if your restore points go back that far.

I boot into Safe Mode w/ networking; but I didn’t find the Sound Test in Control Panel. The Sound device in Device Manager stated that it is unavailable. I don’t know whether Sound is not available in Safe mode or because there is a problem.

Now that I think of it, I think it happened right around the time when Window did a massive updates to my PC. I turned off Windows updates. (The last Win. updates was in 2017.) But last week, I reinstalled MS Office 2013 and I updated MS Office. I may have clicked on the wrong button, it causes Windows to download all Windows updates at the same time. It also see updates to Office 2007 (on 5/7/2020); and I no longer have Office 2007 on my PC.

Anyway, I look under the Syster Restore points, there is no longer Restore Points pre 5/7/2020.

• 1000 Club

@zerenia said in No sound on my PC:

@phat200 You could try booting in Safe Mode and checking the Sound Settings again, that is, run the tests in the Sound Settings. If you get sound, then a program running when you start up is grabbing your sound settings.

I boot into Safe Mode w/ networking; but I didn’t find the Sound Test in Control Panel. The Sound device in Device Manager stated that it is unavailable. I don’t know whether Sound is not available in Safe mode or because there is a problem.

Now that I think of it, I think it happened right around the time when Window did a massive updates to my PC. I turned off Windows updates. (The last Win. updates was in 2017.) But last week, I reinstalled MS Office 2013 and I updated MS Office. I may have clicked on the wrong button, it causes Windows to download all Windows updates at the same time. It also see updates to Office 2007 (on 5/7/2020); and I no longer have Office 2007 on my PC.

Anyway, I look under the Syster Restore points, there is no longer Restore Points pre 5/7/2020.

Did you try this:

“I found the solution! I went into BIOS and switched the sound output to AC97 and everything worked perfectly again. Thanks for all the replies!”

• 1000 Club

• @zapjb said in No sound on my PC:

I have a really good guess if this was 15 yrs ago.
    It’s not 15 yrs ago though.
    Anyways if it was 15 yrs ago I’d guess it was iTunes or an improper uninstall of iTunes.

I uninstall iTune. No luck.

• @fmb1 said in No sound on my PC:

Today, all of a sudden, I found I have no sounds on my PC – system sounds; Hulu, etc.

Thanks.

I don’t have a clue, but a google search found
    someone with what appears to be same
    problem and a working solution.
    search criteria:
    "Can only hear system sounds Windows 7"
    Result:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-only-hear-system-sounds/9252c8d6-56d6-499d-9d5a-53fc2149c913
    Good Luck
    Sorry, here’s my initial search with multiple returns:
    https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&client=firefox-b&biw=1173&bih=440&sxsrf=ALeKk00kxqf9bnyemek9SeoArKnYdAHhNQ%3A1589212344647&ei=uHS5XvT3JsPysQXDpZ6wDA&q=Can+only+hear+system+sounds+Windows+7&oq=Can+only+hear+system+sounds+Windows+7&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIECAAQRzIECAAQRzIECAAQRzIECAAQRzIECAAQRzIECAAQRzIECAAQRzIECAAQR1AAWABg3tc7aABwAngAgAEAiAEAkgEAmAEAqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&https://phatwalletforums.com/compose?p=/topic/23601/no-sound-on-my-pc/16#ved=0ahUKEwj0s5mqlazpAhVDeawKHcOSB8YQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

The only system sound I hear is when the PC is powered on and the Windows is launched. AFTER That, I don’t get any sounds, system or others – not even if I Restart Windows.

I one of the results from your link there is a comment from one of the readers: “… I went in to BIOS and switched the sound output to AC97 and everything worked perfectly again…” I got into BIOS but couldn’t find any settings related to Sounds. Does all PC’s BIOS has settings on Sounds?

Did you try this:

“I found the solution! I went into BIOS and switched the sound output to AC97 and everything worked perfectly again. Thanks for all the replies!”

I saw the same post; but couldn’t find any configuration settings related to sound in my BIOS.

Just in case it makes a difference – I don’t have a sound card, just the sound port(?) on the motherboard that I plug my speaker into.

• 1000 Club

@fmb1 said in No sound on my PC:

Did you try this:

I saw the same post; but couldn’t find any configuration settings related to sound in my BIOS.

Just in case it makes a difference – I don’t have a sound card, just the sound port(?) on the motherboard that I plug my speaker into.

Have you tried right-clicking speaker icon and click on ‘playback devices’?
    That might show what devices are not working.
    Or ’ Open Volume Mixer’
    Also go to your computer manufacturer web site and d/l, install latest audio drivers.
    I have an old HP Win7 laptop and in Control Panel it has “IDT Audio Control Panel” that
    shows devices that might be muted or even missing.

AC97
    0_1589244300982_ac97.jpg

• administrators

I would shy away from not installing windows updates.

Have you tried updating the sound drivers? Sometimes just hitting uninstall and then letting them redetect works.

• 1000 Club

@dangeruss said in No sound on my PC:

I would shy away from not installing windows updates.

Have you tried updating the sound drivers? Sometimes just hitting uninstall and then letting them redetect works.

It’s Win 7 Pro. After saying there would be no more updates
    MS was forced to release one Jan 15, 2020. Don’t have a clue
    if old ones are still available.
    It’s possible the Upgrade to W10 might work but that free upgrade is over
    but I have 32 & 64 on thumb drives but don’t know where I would U/L
    them or if they would even work after being copied off the drives.
    I also said d/l, install audio drivers.

• 500 Club

Probably a dumb question but have you tried headphones?

• 1000 Club

Did you try this:

This might be dumb, is this a laptop with a 3.5mm ‘SOUND PORT’?
    If so, it also has a 3.5mm mic ‘port’ right next to it.
    I have often plugged headphones into mine in the dark and
    took a couple of minutes to dawn on me what I did and I have
    built/worked on computers for over 30yrs 😑

• 1000 Club

• I have clicked on update driver in the Device Manager’s Properties for the Sound device. I stated that I have the latest. [It is Realtek High Definition Audio (generic?). I have disable/enable, uninstall/reinstall the driver.

I also have other problems with this PC:

1. The email client [The Bat!] stopped downloading images in the emails all of a sudden. The software developer’s tech support can’t explain it. I uninstall/reinstall the email client to no avail. I install it on a backup PC and copied over all settings and message database. It works fine on the backup PC. So that would indicate the problem is not in the email program but something in the OS. This happened before the Windows update on 5/7/2020.

2. Every once in a while I get a pop-up stating that something about the USB is not working properly. Even when I disable the USB ports, it will pop-up for days; then go away for a long while; then it will come back again. That started over 1 yr ago.

I guess it is time for me to “clean” this PC and see if it helps. After I set up a new PC, I will start a new thread for Recovery; and hope your folks will give me some guidance. One thing I want to do is change the OS from Win7 Pro 64 bit (current) w/ Virtual WinXP to 32 bit w/ no Virtual Machine. Can I simply use the SAME license/serial# from the PC manufacturer (HP) when I do that?

Thanks for all your help.

• @phat200 said in No sound on my PC:

I have clicked on update driver in the Device Manager’s Properties for the Sound device. I stated that I have the latest. [It is Realtek High Definition Audio (generic?). I have disable/enable, uninstall/reinstall the driver.

1. The email client [The Bat!] stopped downloading images in the emails all of a sudden. The software developer’s tech support can’t explain it. I uninstall/reinstall the email client to no avail. I install it on a backup PC and copied over all settings and message database. It works fine on the backup PC. So that would indicate the problem is not in the email program but something in the OS. This happened before the Windows update on 5/7/2020.

2. Every once in a while I get a pop-up stating that something about the USB is not working properly. Even when I disable the USB ports, it will pop-up for days; then go away for a long while; then it will come back again. That started over 1 yr ago.

I guess it is time for me to “clean” this PC and see if it helps. After I set up a new PC, I will start a new thread for Recovery; and hope your folks will give me some guidance. One thing I want to do is change the OS from Win7 Pro 64 bit (current) w/ Virtual WinXP to 32 bit w/ no Virtual Machine. Can I simply use the SAME license/serial# from the PC manufacturer (HP) when I do that?

One last thing before you completely reinstall, if you haven’t tried already. Visit the HP website and do an Audio Check. You may also be able to find Windows 7 updated audio drivers at the HP website. Here’s a link for you to try:

[link text]https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/topic/diagnostics?category=computing&issue=sound-issues(link url)

It’s worth trying before reinstalling.

– Z –

• 1000 Club

Audio drivers on manufacturer’s page are normally more up to date than in the wild. 🙂
    Download Realtek HD Audio Drivers 2.82 - Realtek AC97 Driver
    https://realtek-download.com/download-hd/
    https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=How+To+Fix+Sound+Issues+in+Windows+7+|+HP+Computers+|+HP

It would be extremely helpful if you would tell what HP computer you have.
    I can’t picture “plugging into the motherboard”. Possibly a misunderstanding of terms?

I have clicked on update driver in the Device Manager’s Properties for the Sound device. I stated that I have the latest. [It is Realtek High Definition Audio (generic?). I have disable/enable, uninstall/reinstall the driver.

One last thing before you completely reinstall, if you haven’t tried already. Visit the HP website and do an Audio Check. You may also be able to find Windows 7 updated audio drivers at the HP website. Here’s a link for you to try:

[link text]https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/topic/diagnostics?category=computing&issue=sound-issues(link url)

It’s worth trying before reinstalling.

– Z –

I tried the Audio check. The check passed. Nonetheless, no sound. It couldn’t solve the problem.

Audio drivers on manufacturer’s page are normally more up to date than in the wild. 🙂
    https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=How+To+Fix+Sound+Issues+in+Windows+7+|+HP+Computers+|+HP

I can’t picture “plugging into the motherboard”. Possibly a misunderstanding of terms?

I downloaded the 2.82. Still no sound.

I watch the first 2 youtube videos on HP audio fix. No new findings.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

• A side question. When I get an email of your responses, the top of the message is a Big bell shape image which takes up much of my screen real estate. Is that the case with you folks? Or is it just me?

TIA

• 1000 Club

A side question. When I get an email of your responses, the top of the message is a Big bell shape image which takes up much of my screen real estate. Is that the case with you folks? Or is it just me?

TIA

No, but I use Gmail so that makes the difference, no symbols at all, just says YouTube in sender column’
    Name/computer model?

One thing I want to do is change the OS from Win7 Pro 64 bit (current) w/ Virtual WinXP to 32 bit w/ no Virtual Machine.

In case you aren’t aware, with a 32-bit OS, only ~4Gb of installed RAM will be accessible to the system. Anything above that will not be seen by Windows.

Punt time. Are you going to try an “over the top” installation or a scratch installation?

– Z –

• 1000 Club

I know this is becoming a hassle for you, but would
    you please try one last thing?
    Right-click the Speaker icon down by the clock.
    Left-click Playback devices
    That will bring up window with tabs inside
    Click the Playback tab and see if it shows
    any devices ‘Not plugged in’

I’m thru after this----promise.

• @flatbob said in No sound on my PC:

One thing I want to do is change the OS from Win7 Pro 64 bit (current) w/ Virtual WinXP to 32 bit w/ no Virtual Machine.

In case you aren’t aware, with a 32-bit OS, only ~4Gb of installed RAM will be accessible to the system. Anything above that will not be seen by Windows.

I forgot about that. So I am stuck with a Virtual Machine.

Punt time. Are you going to try an “over the top” installation or a scratch installation?

– Z –

I would prefer not to do a full Factory Reset. I don’t know how many different levels of Recovery are there in Windows 7. Every software I have to reinstall, I also have to spent time to re-confige that software.

So I would start with the level with the least amt. of time required to get my PC working again.

I have 6 Playback devices that are not plugged in – they are all Digital Audio Display. My monitor has no speakers. And I don’t understand why there are 6 of them when I have only one monitor connected to my PC. And all those 6 Display Audios use the same AMD High Definition Audio Device driver.

I forgot to answer this part. I have HP Elite 8300 Desktop. With respect to MB, I meant I have integrated sound; no discrete sound card.

• @phat200 I would trying adding a sound card. A basic one is $25 or less and a breeze to install. Even better if you know where you can get one pulled from another PC. You might have to disable the onboard sound card in the BIOS.

• 1000 Club

I have 6 Playback devices that are not plugged in – they are all Digital Audio Display. My monitor has no speakers. And I don’t understand why there are 6 of them when I have only one monitor connected to my PC. And all those 6 Display Audios use the same AMD High Definition Audio Device driver.

Do you have one that says ‘Headphones’? And does it say ‘Not plugged in’?
    Also, I’m a bit confused whether this is a laptop or desktop and when
    you say you plug into the motherboard, do you mean that you plug
    into a 3.5mm headphone jack like on your headphone jack on your
    phone? Or are you saying that you can see your motherboard and
    attach to something on it?
    That might sound like a stupid question, but being unable to know
    exactly Make, Model, Type of computer, there is often a mix-up in
    terminology. You COULD be talking about an uncased motherboard
    with keyboard and monitor plugged in.

That aside, I’ll assume you are talking about plugging into a
    3.5mm headphone jack and if that is the case, one of your
    Playback devices should be Headphones and it should NOT
    say Not plugged in. If it says Not plugged in, then that is
    gonna be the problem because the headphone jack is also
    a speaker jack.
    Sorry for the slow typing, I have some neuropathy in my
    hands and it’s especially bad this A.M.

• 1000 Club

I forgot to answer this part. I have HP Elite 8300 Desktop. With respect to MB, I meant I have integrated sound; no discrete sound card.

OK, so there IS a mix-up in terminology. Are you plugging your speakers into
    a hole like your headphone jack on your phone?

• 1000 Club

OK, this is VERY important, because I have now downloaded the User Manual
    for your EXACT system and can actually SEE what you are talking about instead
    of just guessing. For instance, “plugging directly into the motherboard” actually
    means you are plugging into the 3.5mm headphone jack on the front of your microTower case. 😇

So now, the Playback devices should have one that says “Headphones” and it should NOT SAY
    "Not installed"

One quick thing, you also have a “microphone/headphone” jack ON THE LEFT right next to the
    headphone jack ON THE RIGHT, make sure to use the one on the right.

• 1000 Club

If plugging into the one on the right does not work,
    plug into the one on the left and you’ll get a dialog
    box asking if you want you want to configure for
    microphone or headphones

• 1000 Club

Looking over the manual, it says you have chassis speakers?

• 1000 Club

To make sure I have the correct manual. Is this your computer?
    It has a different placement for the jacks.

0_1589473687616_hp.jpg

• 1000 Club

Or this?

0_1589474146481_hp 2.jpg

Looks like your connection to PhatWallet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.